Baked Potato Soup is a comforting and hearty soup that is perfect for a cozy meal. Made with baked potatoes, crispy bacon, and topped with cheddar cheese and green onions, this soup is a crowd pleaser. It is creamy, flavorful, and loaded with all the classic flavors of a baked potato.
To make Baked Potato Soup, you will need a few key ingredients such as potatoes, bacon, onion, garlic, chicken broth, milk, and cheese. The potatoes are baked until tender and then mashed, creating a thick and creamy base for the soup. The bacon adds a delicious smoky flavor, while the onion and garlic add depth and aroma. The chicken broth and milk bring everything together, making the soup rich and velvety. Lastly, the cheese is sprinkled on top and melted to perfection, adding a gooey and savory element to each spoonful.
The baked potato soup recipe requires a variety of ingredients to create its delicious and creamy flavor. Here is a list of the essential ingredients needed:
- Russet potatoes: The star of the dish, russet potatoes are starchy and perfect for creating a thick and velvety soup base.
- Bacon: Adding crispy bacon to the soup adds a smoky flavor and a touch of saltiness that complements the potatoes well.
- Onion: The onion provides a savory and aromatic base for the soup, adding depth of flavor.
- Garlic: Garlic adds a subtle yet distinct flavor to the soup, enhancing the overall taste.
- Chicken or vegetable broth: Either chicken or vegetable broth can be used as the liquid base for the soup, providing a rich and savory flavor.
- Heavy cream: Heavy cream is what gives the soup its creamy and luscious texture.
- Sour cream: Sour cream is optional but adds a tangy and creamy element to the soup.
- Cheddar cheese: Cheddar cheese is sprinkled on top of the soup for a delicious cheesy finish.
- Chives or green onions: Chives or green onions are used as a garnish, adding a pop of color and a fresh taste.
With these ingredients, you can create a hearty and flavorful baked potato soup that is perfect for a cozy meal.
Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to make Baked Potato Soup:
Gather the ingredients: To make Baked Potato Soup, you will need the following ingredients:
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional toppings: bacon bits, additional shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onions
- Prepare the potatoes: Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C). Wash the potatoes thoroughly, then prick them several times with a fork. Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for about 1 hour, or until they are tender when pierced with a knife. Once the potatoes are cooked, remove them from the oven and let them cool slightly. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh, leaving a thin layer of potato in the skins. Set the potato flesh aside.
- Make the soup: In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for about 1-2 minutes to make a roux. Gradually whisk in the vegetable broth, followed by the milk. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for about 5 minutes, or until it thickens slightly. Add the reserved potato flesh to the pot, along with the sour cream, shredded cheese, and chopped green onions. Stir well until the cheese is melted and the soup is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Now your Baked Potato Soup is ready to serve. Ladle it into bowls and garnish with your choice of toppings, such as bacon bits, additional shredded cheddar cheese, and chopped green onions. Enjoy!
Tips from professional chefs for making Baked Potato Soup
When it comes to making Baked Potato Soup, professional chefs have a few tips to ensure a delicious and creamy result.
- Choose the right potatoes: Use starchy potatoes like Russet or Yukon Gold for the soup. These potatoes have a high starch content which helps to create a creamy texture when cooked.
- Bake the potatoes: Instead of boiling the potatoes, bake them in the oven. This will bring out their natural sweetness and enhance the flavor of the soup. Pierce the potatoes with a fork before baking to allow steam to escape and prevent them from bursting.
- Add the toppings wisely: Baked Potato Soup is often garnished with bacon, cheese, chives, and sour cream. To make the soup more visually appealing, consider arranging the toppings in a colorful and appetizing way. You can also serve additional toppings on the side, allowing your guests to customize their own bowls of soup.
By following these tips, you can create a delicious and satisfying Baked Potato Soup that will impress your family and friends.
As an avid potato lover, I was excited to try the Baked Potato Soup recipe, and oh boy, it did not disappoint! The creamy texture, the rich flavors, and the comforting aroma made it an instant hit in my household. The combination of potatoes, bacon, cheese, and sour cream was simply magical. It felt like a warm hug on a cold winter day.
The recipe was easy to follow, and the end result was a delicious bowl of creamy goodness. I loved how the soup had a velvety smooth consistency, with chunks of tender potatoes adding a hearty element to each spoonful. The crispy bacon bits and shredded cheese on top added a delightful crunch and an extra layer of flavor. I also appreciated how customizable the recipe was – I added some chopped scallions and a dash of hot sauce to give it a little kick.
If you’re looking for a comforting and filling soup that will satisfy your potato cravings, look no further than this Baked Potato Soup recipe. It’s the perfect dish for a cozy night in or a gathering with friends and family. The recipe is a definite keeper in my cookbook, and I can’t wait to make it again soon!
This Baked Potato Soup recipe is absolutely delicious! I recently tried it out and was blown away by the flavor and creaminess of the soup. It’s the perfect comfort food for a cold winter night.
The first thing that struck me about this recipe was how easy it was to make. The ingredients are all simple and readily available, and the instructions are clear and concise. I was able to whip up a batch of this soup in no time, which is great for someone like me who doesn’t have a lot of cooking experience.
The taste of the soup is incredible. The combination of the baked potatoes, cheese, and bacon creates a rich and savory flavor that is absolutely irresistible. The soup is also thick and creamy, which adds to the overall indulgence. I loved how the flavors all complemented each other so well.
Overall, I highly recommend trying out this Baked Potato Soup recipe. It’s easy to make, delicious, and perfect for a cozy night in. I can’t wait to make it again!
I recently tried the Baked Potato Soup recipe and it was absolutely delicious! The soup had a creamy and velvety texture, with a rich and comforting flavor that was perfect for a chilly evening. The combination of potatoes, bacon, and cheese created a wonderful balance of flavors that made each spoonful so satisfying. It was like a warm hug in a bowl.
The recipe was easy to follow and the ingredients were simple and readily available. I loved how the potatoes were baked before being added to the soup because it added an extra depth of flavor and a slightly crispy texture to the dish. The bacon added a savory and smoky element, while the cheese melted beautifully into the soup, making it even more indulgent.
I also appreciated the fact that the recipe allowed for customization. I chose to top my soup with some green onions and a dollop of sour cream, which added a fresh and tangy element to the overall taste. Other options like chives or shredded cheese would also work well. It’s a versatile recipe that can be adapted to suit individual preferences.
All in all, I highly recommend trying the Baked Potato Soup recipe. It’s a comforting and satisfying dish that will warm you up from the inside out. Whether you’re cooking for yourself or for friends and family, this soup is sure to be a hit. Don’t forget to serve it with some crusty bread for dipping – it’s the perfect accompaniment to a bowl of this delicious soup.
The Baked Potato Soup recipe is absolutely divine! I recently tried making it at home and it turned out to be a comforting and delicious meal. The soup had a velvety smooth texture and was packed with flavor. The combination of potatoes, bacon, and cheese created a perfect balance of saltiness and creaminess. This soup is the ultimate comfort food on a chilly winter evening.
One of the things I loved most about this recipe is how easy it was to prepare. The instructions were clear and concise, and all the ingredients were readily available. The soup came together quickly, thanks to the use of a blender to puree the potatoes. The soup was then simmered on the stove to allow the flavors to meld together. The end result was a rich and hearty soup that tasted like it had been simmering on the stove for hours.
I also appreciated how versatile this recipe is. I had some leftover roasted vegetables in the fridge, so I decided to add them to the soup for some extra flavor and texture. It turned out to be a great addition! The soup was even better the next day, as the flavors had a chance to develop even further. Overall, this Baked Potato Soup recipe is a winner in my book. I will definitely be making it again in the future!