If you’re looking for a delicious and nutritious breakfast or brunch option, look no further than this Braised Kale, Bacon and Egg on Toast recipe. It combines the earthy flavors of braised kale with the smoky and savory taste of bacon, all topped off with a perfectly cooked egg. It’s a simple yet satisfying dish that is sure to impress.
To make this recipe, you’ll need a few key ingredients. First, you’ll need some fresh kale, which will be braised to bring out its natural sweetness. Next, you’ll need bacon, which will add a rich and smoky flavor to the dish. Finally, you’ll need some eggs and bread, which will serve as the base for the dish.
Start by cooking the bacon until it’s crispy. Set it aside and sauté the kale in the rendered bacon fat until it’s wilted and tender. While the kale is cooking, toast the bread and poach the eggs to your desired level of doneness. Once everything is ready, assemble the dish by placing the braised kale on top of the toast, followed by the bacon and the poached egg. Season with salt and pepper, and enjoy!
Ingredients for Braised Kale, Bacon and Egg on Toast
- Kale: You’ll need about 4 cups of fresh kale leaves, which will be braised to perfection.
- Bacon: Adding a savory and smoky flavor, you’ll need 4 slices of bacon.
- Eggs: To make the dish complete, you’ll need 4 large eggs.
- Toast: Choose your favorite type of bread, which will be toasted to serve as the base for the kale, bacon, and egg.
- Olive oil: Used for sautéing the kale and adding a hint of richness.
- Garlic: You’ll need 2 cloves of garlic, minced, to add flavor to the dish.
- Red pepper flakes: For a touch of heat, you’ll use 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes.
- Salt and black pepper: To season the dish, you’ll need salt and black pepper to taste.
With these simple and easily accessible ingredients, you’ll be able to create a satisfying and flavorful breakfast that combines the health benefits of kale with the indulgence of bacon and eggs. The combination of textures and flavors in this dish is sure to make it a new favorite in your breakfast repertoire. So go ahead and gather these ingredients, and get ready to enjoy a hearty and delicious meal to start your day off right!
Instructions for Making Braised Kale, Bacon and Egg on Toast
To make Braised Kale, Bacon and Egg on Toast, you will need the following ingredients:
- 3 slices of bacon
- 1 bunch of kale, stems removed and leaves torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices of bread, toasted
- Salt and pepper to taste
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make Braised Kale, Bacon and Egg on Toast:
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until crispy. Remove the bacon from the skillet and set it aside, leaving the bacon grease in the skillet.
- Add the minced garlic to the skillet with the bacon grease and sauté for about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the torn kale leaves to the skillet and toss them in the garlic-infused bacon grease. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, until the kale is wilted and tender.
- While the kale is cooking, poach the eggs. Fill a large pot with water and bring it to a gentle simmer. Crack each egg into a small bowl and gently slide it into the simmering water. Cook the eggs for about 3-4 minutes, until the whites are set but the yolks are still runny.
- Once the kale is cooked, season it with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the toasted bread slices among four plates. Top each slice with a portion of the braised kale.
- Place a poached egg on top of each pile of kale.
- Crumble the cooked bacon over the eggs.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
Your Braised Kale, Bacon and Egg on Toast is now ready to serve. Enjoy!
Serving and Enjoying Braised Kale, Bacon and Egg on Toast
- Start by carefully transferring the braised kale, bacon, and egg mixture onto a plate or a serving dish. Make sure to get all the flavorful juices and bacon pieces onto the plate.
- Place a slice of toast next to the kale mixture. The toasty texture of the bread will complement the tender kale perfectly.
- Take a moment to admire the vibrant colors of the dish. The dark green kale, crispy bacon, and golden egg yolk create a visually appealing combination.
- If you like your eggs runny, make sure to cut into the yolk and let it flow over the kale and bacon. This will add a luscious richness to the dish.
- For added flavor and texture, you can sprinkle some grated Parmesan cheese or chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley or chives, on top of the dish. These garnishes will enhance the overall taste of the dish.
- Pair your braised kale, bacon, and egg on toast with a hot cup of coffee or a refreshing glass of orange juice for a complete breakfast or brunch experience.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can customize it to your liking. If you prefer your kale to be more tender, you can braise it for a longer time. If you like your bacon extra crispy, you can cook it for an extra minute. And if you want to add some heat to the dish, you can sprinkle some red pepper flakes or drizzle hot sauce on top.
Whichever way you choose to enjoy it, braised kale, bacon, and egg on toast is a satisfying and flavorful meal that can be enjoyed at any time of the day.