If you’re looking for a delicious and creamy soup that is both healthy and easy to make, look no further than this Creamy Pea Soup with Basil recipe. With just a few simple ingredients, you can create a flavorful and satisfying soup that is perfect for any occasion.
This recipe starts with fresh green peas, which are packed with vitamins and minerals. The peas are simmered with vegetable broth until tender, then blended until smooth to create a creamy base. To add a burst of flavor, fresh basil leaves are added to the soup, giving it a vibrant and aromatic taste.
- 2 cups fresh green peas
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
To make this Creamy Pea Soup, start by sautéing diced onions and minced garlic until they become translucent. Then, add the fresh green peas and vegetable broth to the pot and bring to a simmer. Allow the peas to cook until tender, then transfer the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth. Return the mixture to the pot and stir in the heavy cream, fresh basil leaves, and salt and pepper to taste. Heat the soup until warmed through, then serve hot with a sprinkle of fresh basil on top.
This Creamy Pea Soup with Basil is a perfect dish for both lunch and dinner. It is not only delicious, but also packed with nutrients and vitamins. Whether you’re a fan of peas or not, this recipe is definitely worth a try!
The star ingredient of this soup is peas. You can use either fresh or frozen peas, depending on availability. Peas are packed with nutrients like fiber, vitamins, and minerals, making them a healthy addition to the soup.
2. Onion and Garlic
To add a savory base to the soup, you will need onion and garlic. These aromatics provide a depth of flavor and enhance the overall taste of the soup. Finely chop the onion and mince the garlic for even distribution in the soup.
Basil is the key herb that gives this soup its enticing aroma and refreshing taste. You can use fresh basil leaves, finely chopped or torn, to infuse the soup with its distinct flavor. The combination of peas and basil creates a harmonious blend of sweetness and earthiness.
4. Vegetable Broth
Vegetable broth serves as the liquid base for the soup, providing a rich and flavorful foundation. Choose a high-quality vegetable broth or make your own from scratch for the best results.
5. Heavy Cream
To achieve the creamy texture of the soup, you will need heavy cream. It adds a luxurious touch and smoothness to the soup, making it incredibly satisfying. If you prefer a lighter version, you can use half-and-half or milk instead.
Seasonings are essential in bringing out the flavors of the soup. Salt and pepper are the basic seasonings to taste, but you can also add other herbs and spices such as thyme or nutmeg for additional depth.
|Basil||A handful of fresh leaves|
|Vegetable Broth||4 cups|
|Heavy Cream||1/2 cup|
|Black Pepper||To taste|
To make the creamy pea soup with basil, follow these simple steps:
- Prepare the ingredients: Gather 2 cups of frozen peas, 2 cups of vegetable broth, 1 small onion (diced), 2 cloves of garlic (minced), 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/2 cup of heavy cream, a handful of fresh basil leaves, salt, and pepper.
- Sauté the onion and garlic: Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, and sauté until the onion becomes translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the peas and broth: Add the frozen peas and vegetable broth to the pot with the sautéed onion and garlic. Increase the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the peas are tender.
- Puree the soup: Using an immersion blender or regular blender, puree the soup until smooth and creamy. Be careful when blending hot liquids, as they can splatter. If using a regular blender, blend the soup in batches and then return it to the pot.
- Add the cream and basil: Pour in the heavy cream and stir well to combine. Chop the fresh basil leaves and add them to the soup, stirring again to incorporate the flavors.
- Season and serve: Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle the creamy pea soup into bowls and garnish with a few fresh basil leaves. Serve hot and enjoy!
1. Crusty Bread: Serving a slice or two of crusty bread alongside the pea soup is a classic choice. The crunchy texture of the bread complements the smoothness of the soup and provides a satisfying contrast. You can also offer different types of bread, such as sourdough or French baguette, to add variety.
2. Fresh Herbs: Adding a sprinkle of fresh herbs on top of the soup can enhance its flavors and add a pop of color. Basil, which is featured in the recipe, is a great choice that complements the peas beautifully. You can also try other herbs like mint, parsley, or chives for different flavor profiles.
3. Croutons: Homemade croutons can be a delightful addition to creamy pea soup. To make them, simply cube some bread, toss it with olive oil and seasonings, and bake until crispy. The crunchy texture of the croutons adds a wonderful contrast to the creamy soup.
4. Bacon Bits: For those who enjoy the combination of savory and sweet flavors, adding some crispy bacon bits to the soup can be a delicious option. The smoky and salty taste of the bacon complements the sweetness of the peas and adds a delightful crunch.
- Sour cream or yogurt
- Shredded cheese (such as Parmesan or cheddar)
- Extra virgin olive oil or truffle oil
- Sprinkle of paprika or chili flakes
- Cracked black pepper
These toppings and garnishes can be placed in small bowls or ramekins, allowing each person to customize their bowl of soup according to their preferences. It’s also a good idea to serve the soup in individual bowls or soup cups for an elegant presentation. Whether you choose to keep it simple with crusty bread or get creative with various garnishes, serving creamy pea soup with these suggested accompaniments will enhance both the taste and visual appeal of the dish.