Making homemade meatballs is a great way to add flavor and protein to your meals. And with this recipe for Easy Turkey Meatballs in Tomato Basil Sauce, you’ll have a delicious and nutritious dinner ready in no time.
The key to these meatballs is using ground turkey instead of beef. Not only is turkey a leaner meat option, but it also has a milder flavor that allows the other ingredients to shine. To make the meatballs, you’ll need ground turkey, breadcrumbs, minced garlic, grated Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley, and an egg. Mix everything together in a bowl, then form the mixture into small balls.
To make the tomato basil sauce, you’ll need crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, minced garlic, dried basil, dried oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, sugar, salt, and black pepper. Combine all the ingredients in a pot, bring to a simmer, and let it cook for about 15 minutes. Then, add the meatballs to the sauce and cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until they’re cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
Serve the meatballs and sauce over cooked pasta or spaghetti squash for a complete meal. Top with fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese for extra flavor. These Easy Turkey Meatballs in Tomato Basil Sauce are a simple and satisfying dinner option that the whole family will love.
The Ingredients You’ll Need
- Ground Turkey: The main ingredient, ground turkey provides a lean protein base for the meatballs.
- Breadcrumbs: Used as a binding agent, breadcrumbs help hold the meatballs together and add texture.
- Parmesan Cheese: Adding grated Parmesan cheese to the meatball mixture enhances the savory flavors.
- Egg: The egg helps bind the ingredients together and adds moisture to the meatballs.
- Garlic: Freshly minced garlic adds a rich and aromatic flavor to the meatballs.
- Fresh Basil: Chopped fresh basil leaves contribute a fresh and herbaceous note to the tomato sauce.
- Tomato Sauce: A high-quality tomato sauce serves as the base for the flavorful sauce that accompanies the meatballs.
- Crushed Tomatoes: Adding crushed tomatoes to the sauce adds depth and texture.
- Olive Oil: Used for cooking, olive oil brings a subtle complexity to both the meatballs and the sauce.
- Seasonings: Various spices and herbs such as salt, black pepper, and oregano are used to season the meatballs and the tomato sauce.
Table: Essential Ingredients
|Ground Turkey||Tomato Sauce|
|Parmesan Cheese||Olive Oil|
These ingredients work together to create a delicious and satisfying meal. Feel free to add your own twists to the recipe, such as adding additional spices or vegetables to customize the flavor to your preferences.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Making Turkey Meatballs
- 1 lb (450 g) ground turkey
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground turkey, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, and egg. Mix well until all ingredients are evenly combined.
- Using your hands, shape the mixture into small meatballs, about 1 inch in diameter.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the meatballs to the skillet, making sure not to overcrowd them. Cook the meatballs in batches if needed.
- Cook the meatballs for about 8-10 minutes, turning them occasionally to ensure even browning on all sides. The internal temperature of the meatballs should reach 165°F (74°C) when fully cooked.
- Once the meatballs are cooked, remove them from the skillet and drain any excess oil on a paper towel.
- Serve the turkey meatballs with tomato basil sauce and garnish with additional Parmesan cheese and parsley if desired.
These turkey meatballs are a versatile dish that can be enjoyed as an appetizer, served over pasta, or used in a variety of other recipes. They are a healthy and delicious option for any meal.
A Delicious Tomato Basil Sauce Recipe
To make a delicious tomato basil sauce, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of tomato paste
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- A handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
To start, heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the diced onion and minced garlic, and sauté until they become translucent. Next, add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, and sugar to the saucepan. Stir everything together and let it simmer for about 15 minutes, allowing the flavors to combine.
Once the sauce has thickened slightly, remove it from the heat and let it cool for a few minutes. Then, transfer the sauce to a blender or use an immersion blender to puree it until smooth. Return the sauce to the saucepan and heat it again over low heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Finally, add the freshly chopped basil leaves to the sauce and stir them in. The aroma of the basil will infuse the sauce with a delightful fragrance. Allow the sauce to simmer for another 5 minutes to further enhance the flavors.
|Canned diced tomatoes||2 cans|
|Tomato paste||1/4 cup|
|Fresh basil leaves||A handful|
|Olive oil||2 tablespoons|
|Salt and pepper||To taste|
This tomato basil sauce is a perfect accompaniment to pasta dishes, such as spaghetti or lasagna. It can also be used as a base for pizza, or as a dipping sauce for garlic bread or mozzarella sticks. The possibilities are endless!