If you’re looking for a delicious and easy dessert to impress your guests, this apple almond coffee cake recipe is the perfect choice. With a moist and fluffy texture, a sweet apple filling, and a crunchy almond topping, this cake is a delightful combination of flavors and textures.
To make this apple almond coffee cake, you will need a few simple ingredients that you probably already have in your pantry. The star of the show is, of course, the apples. Choose firm and tart apples like Granny Smith or Honeycrisp for the best flavor. To add richness and depth to the cake, you’ll also need butter, sugar, and vanilla extract. And to give it a nutty twist, almond flour and sliced almonds are added to the topping.
To assemble the cake, start by combining the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another. Then, gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until a smooth batter forms. Pour half of the batter into a greased baking pan and spread the apple filling evenly over the top. Top it off with the remaining batter and sprinkle the almond topping. Bake in the oven until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Key Ingredients for Apple Almond Coffee Cake
- Apples: Apples are a crucial component of apple almond coffee cake. They provide a sweet and tangy flavor, as well as moisture to the cake. Tart apples such as Granny Smith or Honeycrisp are commonly used in this recipe due to their firm texture and bright flavor.
- Almonds: Almonds add a delightful nutty flavor and a satisfying crunch to the cake. They are often used in the form of sliced or chopped almonds and can be sprinkled on top of the cake or mixed into the batter. Roasted almonds can also be used to enhance their flavor.
- Coffee: Coffee is an unexpected but essential ingredient in apple almond coffee cake. It adds depth and richness to the overall flavor profile of the cake. Instant coffee granules or brewed coffee can be used. The coffee can be mixed directly into the batter or used to make a coffee-infused glaze or frosting.
Other common ingredients for apple almond coffee cake include flour, sugar, butter, eggs, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. These ingredients provide the base for the cake and contribute to its structure and taste. Some variations of the recipe may also include spices like nutmeg or ginger for extra flavor.
|Apples||Provide sweetness, tanginess, and moisture|
|Almonds||Add nutty flavor and crunch|
|Coffee||Enhances flavor and adds richness|
|Flour||Forms the base of the cake|
|Sugar||Sweetens the cake|
|Butter||Adds richness and moisture|
|Eggs||Provide structure and moisture|
|Baking Powder||Helps the cake rise|
|Cinnamon||Infuses warmth and spice|
|Vanilla Extract||Enhances overall flavor|
Step-by-Step Instructions to Make Apple Almond Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 medium-sized apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- For the streusel topping:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cold unsalted butter
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9-inch square baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the sour cream. Begin and end with the dry ingredients.
- Gently fold in the diced apples and sliced almonds.
- For the streusel topping, in a small bowl, combine the flour and granulated sugar. Cut in the cold butter using a pastry cutter or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
Once the cake has cooled, it is ready to be enjoyed. Slice it into squares and serve with a hot cup of coffee for a delightful and tasty treat that is perfect for any occasion.