Apple Crumb Pie is a delicious dessert that combines the flavors of sweet apples and a buttery crumb topping. This classic American dessert is perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a holiday gathering or a simple weeknight treat. The pie is made with a flaky homemade crust that encases a filling of tart apple slices, cinnamon, and sugar.
The crumb topping adds a wonderful texture and flavor to the pie. It is made with a mixture of flour, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon, which is sprinkled over the apple filling before baking. As the pie bakes, the topping becomes golden and crisp, creating a delicious contrast to the soft, tender apples inside.
The key ingredients for making an Apple Crumb Pie include:
- Pastry Dough – A homemade or store-bought pie crust is needed as the base for the pie. This provides the foundation for the filling and crumb topping.
- Apples – You will need fresh, tart apples such as Granny Smith or Honeycrisp. These apples are firm and hold their shape well when baked.
- Sugar – Both granulated sugar and brown sugar are used to add sweetness to the pie filling and crumb topping.
- Flour – All-purpose flour is used in the crumb topping to give it a nice texture and help it hold together.
- Cinnamon – A warm spice that pairs perfectly with apples. It adds a cozy and aromatic flavor to the pie.
- Butter – Unsalted butter is used in the crumb topping to create a rich and buttery flavor.
- Lemon Juice – A small amount of lemon juice is added to the filling to enhance the apple flavor and prevent browning.
- Salt – A pinch of salt is added to balance the sweetness and enhance the overall flavor of the pie.
These ingredients come together to create a delicious and comforting Apple Crumb Pie that is perfect for any occasion.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Apple Crumb Pie
Preparing an Apple Crumb Pie is easier than you think! Just follow these simple steps to create a delicious and comforting dessert:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and grease a 9-inch pie dish.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar. Cut in 1 cup of cold unsalted butter using a pastry cutter or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Pour in 1/4 cup of ice water and mix the dough until it starts to come together. Form it into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel, core, and slice 6-8 Granny Smith apples. In a separate bowl, mix together 3/4 cup of granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon of all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, and a pinch of nutmeg. Toss the apple slices in the sugar mixture until evenly coated.
- Take the chilled dough out of the refrigerator and roll it into a circle large enough to fit your pie dish. Transfer the dough to the greased pie dish and press it evenly into the bottom and sides.
- Pour the apple mixture into the pie crust, spreading it out evenly. In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of all-purpose flour, 1/2 cup of granulated sugar, and 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar. Cut in 1/2 cup of cold unsalted butter until the mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over the apples, covering them completely. Place the pie dish on a baking sheet to catch any drips, and bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the apples are tender.
- Remove the pie from the oven and let it cool for at least 1 hour before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature, and enjoy!
With these detailed steps, you’ll be able to make a perfect Apple Crumb Pie to impress your friends and family!
Tips from professional chefs on making Apple Crumb Pie
When it comes to making a delicious Apple Crumb Pie, professional chefs have some valuable tips to share. Here are a few expert suggestions to help you create the perfect pie:
- Choose the right apples: Selecting the right apples is essential for a tasty pie. Look for apples with a balance of sweetness and tartness, such as Granny Smith or Honeycrisp. These varieties hold their shape well and provide a good contrast to the sweet crumb topping.
- Precook the apples: To prevent a soggy bottom crust, many chefs recommend precooking the apples before baking the pie. This helps to release some of the juices and ensures a firmer texture. You can lightly sauté the apples with some butter, sugar, and spices until they are just tender before filling the pie crust.
- Add extra flavor: To enhance the flavor of your Apple Crumb Pie, consider adding some additional ingredients. Cinnamon and nutmeg are classic spices that pair well with apples. You can also add a splash of fresh lemon juice to brighten the flavors. For an extra burst of sweetness, drizzle some caramel sauce over the top before serving.
By following these expert tips, you’ll be on your way to creating a delectable Apple Crumb Pie that will impress your family and friends.
As a lover of all things apple, I couldn’t resist trying out the recipe for Apple Crumb Pie. And let me tell you, it did not disappoint! The combination of sweet and tart apples, warm cinnamon, and buttery crumb topping was absolute perfection. Every bite was a symphony of flavors and textures.
The crust, made from scratch using a simple mix of flour, butter, and sugar, was flaky and delicious. It provided the perfect base for the filling, which was a heavenly combination of thinly sliced apples, sugar, and cinnamon. The apples were still slightly crisp after baking, giving the pie a wonderful texture.
The crowning glory of this pie was the crumb topping. Made with a mixture of flour, butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, it added an irresistible crunch and sweetness to each bite. It perfectly complemented the tartness of the apples and brought the whole pie together.
I served the Apple Crumb Pie warm with a dollop of freshly whipped cream, and it was pure heaven. The flavors were warm and comforting, and the aroma of cinnamon filled the kitchen. This pie is the perfect dessert for any occasion, whether it’s a family gathering or a cozy night in. I highly recommend trying the recipe for Apple Crumb Pie – you won’t be disappointed!
I recently tried the Apple Crumb Pie recipe and it was a game-changer. The combination of the flaky crust, sweet apple filling, and crunchy crumb topping was absolutely delicious. The recipe was easy to follow, with clear instructions and simple ingredients that are readily available. It took some time to peel and slice the apples, but the end result was well worth the effort. The pie had the perfect balance of sweetness, with the natural tartness of the apples shining through. I served it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and it was pure heaven. The pie was a hit with my family and friends, and I will definitely be making it again!
What I loved most about this Apple Crumb Pie recipe was the crumb topping. It added an extra layer of texture and flavor to the pie. The buttery, cinnamon-scented crumbs were the perfect contrast to the soft apples underneath. The pie stayed fresh and flavorful for days, thanks to the crumb topping acting as a protective shield for the filling. The crust was golden brown and flaky, providing a sturdy base for the pie. It didn’t get soggy even after being refrigerated overnight. I highly recommend this recipe to anyone looking to impress their guests or simply indulge in a delicious homemade pie.
The Apple Crumb Pie exceeded all my expectations. It was the perfect fall dessert, with warm spices and tender apples. The pie filling was not overly sweet, allowing the natural flavors of the apples to shine through. The crumb topping added a delightful crunch, and the crust was buttery and light. I used a mix of Granny Smith and Honeycrisp apples, which provided a perfect balance of tartness and sweetness. This pie was a hit at my Thanksgiving dinner and received rave reviews from my family. I can’t wait to make it again!
I recently had the pleasure of making and tasting an Apple Crumb Pie, and I must say, it was absolutely delicious! The combination of sweet and tart apples with the crunchy crumb topping made for the perfect balance of flavors and textures.
The recipe was fairly easy to follow, and all the ingredients were readily available at my local grocery store. I started by preparing the pie crust, using a combination of butter and shortening to ensure a flaky and tender crust. Then, I peeled and sliced the apples, tossing them in a mixture of cinnamon, sugar, and lemon juice to enhance their natural sweetness.
Once the apples were arranged in the pie crust, I prepared the crumb topping by combining flour, brown sugar, and butter until it formed a crumbly consistency. I sprinkled the topping over the apples and baked the pie until the crust was golden brown and the filling was bubbling.
When the pie was ready, I couldn’t resist taking a bite immediately. The apples were soft and juicy, with a hint of tartness that contrasted nicely with the sweet crumb topping. The crust was perfectly flaky, adding a nice crunch to each bite. I served the pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, which complemented the flavors beautifully.
All in all, I highly recommend trying the Apple Crumb Pie recipe. It’s a classic dessert that is sure to impress your friends and family. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or a novice in the kitchen, this recipe is definitely worth a try. I will definitely be making this pie again in the future!
I recently had the pleasure of trying the Apple Crumb Pie recipe, and I must say, it was absolutely delicious. The combination of the sweet and tart flavors of the apples, the warm cinnamon spice, and the buttery crumb topping made for a truly irresistible dessert.
The recipe was easy to follow, with clear instructions and simple ingredients. The crust came out perfectly flaky and golden brown, providing a wonderful base for the juicy apple filling. Speaking of the filling, the apples were cooked just right – tender but not mushy – and had a wonderful natural sweetness that paired perfectly with the spices. The cinnamon added a warm and comforting flavor that made this pie perfect for a cozy fall evening.
The crumb topping was the icing on the cake, so to speak. It added a nice crunch and a buttery richness that complemented the sweet apples and provided a nice contrast of textures. Overall, this Apple Crumb Pie was a real hit and I will definitely be making it again in the future. It’s the perfect dessert for any occasion, whether it’s a family gathering, a holiday celebration, or just a cozy night in. I highly recommend giving this recipe a try – you won’t be disappointed!