If you’re a fan of creamy, comforting desserts, then this homemade banana pudding recipe is perfect for you. Made with layers of fresh bananas, velvety vanilla pudding, and a topping of whipped cream, this dessert is a classic Southern favorite that will satisfy your sweet tooth.
To make this delicious banana pudding, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 3/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 4 ripe bananas
- 2 cups of vanilla wafers
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar
Begin by whisking together the milk, sugar, flour, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook the mixture until it thickens and comes to a boil, stirring constantly. Once the pudding has thickened, remove it from the heat and let it cool slightly.
|First Layer||Vanilla wafers|
|Second Layer||Sliced bananas|
|Third Layer||Vanilla pudding|
|Repeat||Until all ingredients are used|
Once the layers are complete, cover the pudding with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight if possible. This will allow the flavors to meld together and the pudding to set.
When you’re ready to serve, prepare the whipped cream by whipping the heavy cream and powdered sugar together until stiff peaks form. Spread the whipped cream evenly over the top of the banana pudding. Garnish with additional banana slices or crushed vanilla wafers if desired.
This homemade banana pudding is a crowd-pleasing dessert that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a summer barbecue or simply craving a sweet treat, this recipe is sure to impress. Enjoy!
Ingredients for Homemade Banana Pudding
- Ripe bananas: The star of the show, ripe bananas add sweetness and a distinct flavor to the pudding. Make sure to use bananas that are ripe but not overly mushy.
- Vanilla wafers: These crispy cookies are layered between the banana slices and pudding, adding a delicious crunch to each bite.
- Whole milk: Whole milk is used to make the pudding base and provides richness and creaminess.
- Egg yolks: The egg yolks help to thicken the pudding and give it a smooth and velvety consistency.
- Sugar: To sweeten the pudding, granulated sugar is added. Adjust the amount to your desired level of sweetness.
- Cornstarch: Cornstarch acts as a thickening agent, helping the pudding to set properly.
- Salt: A pinch of salt is added to enhance the flavors and balance the sweetness of the pudding.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract adds a delicious aroma and depth of flavor to the pudding.
- Whipped cream: Whipped cream is optional but adds a light and airy texture to the pudding. It can be used as a topping or folded into the pudding mixture.
In addition to these main ingredients, you can also add some optional extras to enhance the flavor of your homemade banana pudding. These can include a sprinkle of cinnamon, a drizzle of caramel sauce, or a handful of chopped nuts for some added crunch. Experiment with different variations to create your perfect banana pudding recipe.
The following step-by-step instructions will guide you through the process of making homemade banana pudding:
- Gather the ingredients: Collect all the necessary ingredients, including ripe bananas, milk, eggs, sugar, cornstarch, vanilla extract, cookies (such as vanilla wafers or ladyfingers), and whipped cream.
- Prepare the pudding mixture: In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, and a pinch of salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and egg yolks. Gradually pour the milk mixture into the saucepan, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat until the mixture thickens, then remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Layer the ingredients: Begin by placing a layer of cookies at the bottom of a serving dish or individual glass containers. Slice the bananas and arrange a layer of banana slices on top of the cookies. Pour a portion of the pudding mixture over the bananas, spreading it evenly. Repeat the layers until all the ingredients are used, ending with a layer of pudding.
- Chill and garnish: Cover the dish with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight, allowing the flavors to combine and the pudding to set. Before serving, top with whipped cream and additional banana slices.
Following these easy step-by-step instructions will ensure that you create a delicious homemade banana pudding that is sure to impress your family and friends!
Tips for Making the Perfect Homemade Banana Pudding
1. Choose ripe bananas: The key to a delicious homemade banana pudding is using ripe bananas. Ripe bananas have a sweeter taste and a softer texture, which will give your pudding a more intense banana flavor. Look for bananas that are yellow with brown speckles.
2. Make your own custard: While some recipes call for using instant pudding mix, making your own custard from scratch will take your banana pudding to the next level. It will have a richer and creamier texture, and you can control the sweetness to your liking. Use a combination of eggs, milk, sugar, and cornstarch to make the custard.
- 3. Layer the ingredients:
|Vanilla wafers||Start by placing a layer of vanilla wafers at the bottom of your serving dish. This will provide a crunchy texture and act as a barrier to prevent the pudding from sticking to the dish.|
|Sliced bananas||Add a layer of sliced bananas on top of the vanilla wafers. Make sure to cover the entire surface of the wafers to ensure every bite has a taste of banana.|
|Homemade custard||Pour a layer of homemade custard on top of the bananas. Use a spatula to spread it evenly and make sure it fills the gaps between the bananas.|
|Repeat the layers||Continue layering the ingredients until you run out, ending with a layer of custard on top. This will create a beautiful and delicious dessert with alternating layers of vanilla wafers, bananas, and custard.|
4. Chill before serving: After assembling the layers, refrigerate the banana pudding for at least two hours before serving. This will allow the flavors to meld together and the pudding to set. It will also give the vanilla wafers time to soften, creating a perfect combination of textures.
Now that you have these tips, you’re ready to make the perfect homemade banana pudding. Enjoy this classic dessert with its creamy custard, sweet bananas, and crunchy vanilla wafers!