Everyone loves a delicious and flavorful pasta sauce, and there’s nothing quite like a homemade red pasta sauce. Made with fresh ingredients and bursting with flavors, homemade red pasta sauce is a staple in Italian cuisine. Whether you’re a novice cook or a seasoned chef, making your own red pasta sauce is easy and rewarding.
- 2 cans of whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions and garlic to the pan and sauté until they become translucent and fragrant.
- Add the grated carrot to the pan and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Next, add the canned tomatoes to the pan, breaking them up with a wooden spoon.
- Stir in the dried basil, dried oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer the sauce for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the sauce has thickened and the flavors have melded together, remove it from heat.
- Using a blender or immersion blender, puree the sauce until smooth.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Your homemade red pasta sauce is now ready to be served!
– You can add a pinch of red pepper flakes for a little spice.
– If you prefer a chunky sauce, you can skip blending step and leave the tomatoes as they are.
– This sauce can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week or frozen for future use.
With a few simple ingredients and some love, you can create a delicious homemade red pasta sauce that will elevate your pasta dishes to a whole new level. Enjoy the aroma and taste of fresh tomatoes, herbs, and spices in every bite!
Ingredients and Preparation
- Olive oil: Begin by heating a generous amount of olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Onion and garlic: Finely chop an onion and several cloves of garlic, and add them to the heated oil. Sauté until golden and fragrant.
- Canned tomatoes: Open a can of whole or crushed tomatoes. Pour the tomatoes into the saucepan, breaking them up with a spoon or masher.
- Herbs and spices: Add dried herbs like basil, oregano, and a pinch of red pepper flakes for a touch of heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sugar: Sprinkle in a small amount of sugar to balance the acidity of the tomatoes.
- Simmer: Bring the sauce to a gentle simmer, then reduce the heat and let it cook for at least 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Optional ingredients: To enhance the flavor, you can add other ingredients such as grated carrots, finely chopped mushrooms, or a splash of red wine.
Once the sauce has simmered to your desired consistency, it is ready to be served with your favorite pasta. This homemade red pasta sauce is versatile and can be customized to suit your taste preferences. Enjoy!