Looking for a simple, delicious treat that you can whip up in no time? These easy butter cookies are the perfect solution. Made with just a handful of ingredients, they are quick to make and absolutely melt-in-your-mouth delicious.
These cookies are made with butter, sugar, flour, and vanilla extract. That’s it! You probably already have all of these ingredients in your kitchen, so you can get started right away. Simply mix everything together, roll the dough into balls, and then flatten them with a fork. The result is a buttery, crumbly cookie that is perfect for any occasion.
If you want to add a little extra flavor, you can get creative with different mix-ins. Try adding chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruit to the dough. You can also sprinkle the cookies with sugar or cinnamon for a touch of sweetness. The possibilities are endless, so feel free to experiment and make these cookies your own.
To make a batch of butter cookies, you will need the following:
- Butter: Start with unsalted butter at room temperature. It should be soft enough to easily mix with the other ingredients.
- Sugar: Granulated white sugar is used to add sweetness to the cookies. It helps create a crisp texture.
- Egg: A large egg is typically used to bind the dough together and add moisture. It also contributes to the texture and structure of the cookies.
- All-Purpose Flour: This is the main component of the dough and provides structure and stability to the cookies.
- Vanilla Extract: Adding vanilla extract enhances the flavor of the cookies and adds a hint of sweetness.
- Salt: A small amount of salt is often added to balance the sweetness and enhance the overall flavor profile of the cookies.
These basic ingredients can be easily customized by adding mix-ins like chocolate chips, nuts, or dried fruits to create various flavor variations.
Follow these easy step-by-step instructions to make delicious and buttery cookies:
- 1 cup of butter, softened
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the salt and vanilla extract to the butter mixture, and mix until well combined.
- Gradually add the all-purpose flour to the mixture, mixing well after each addition, until a dough forms.
- Shape the dough into small balls, about 1 inch in diameter, and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Using a fork, gently press down on each ball of dough to flatten it slightly and create a crisscross pattern.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until they are lightly golden around the edges.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the cookies cool for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies have cooled, they are ready to be enjoyed!
These easy butter cookies are perfect for any occasion and can be enjoyed with a cup of tea or coffee. Store them in an airtight container to keep them fresh for several days.
Tips and Variations
Add some variety to your butter cookies by incorporating different flavors and textures. Here are a few ideas:
- Chocolate Chip Cookies: Fold in some chocolate chips into the cookie dough for a rich and indulgent treat.
- Almond Cookies: Replace a portion of the all-purpose flour with almond flour and add some almond extract for a nutty twist.
- Lemon Cookies: Add some lemon zest and a splash of lemon juice to give the cookies a refreshing citrus flavor.
Follow these tips to ensure that your butter cookies turn out perfect every time:
- Use room temperature ingredients: Make sure that your butter and eggs are at room temperature before beginning. Cold butter will not cream properly with the sugar, and cold eggs can result in a denser cookie.
- Cream the butter and sugar properly: Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy to ensure that the cookies have a tender texture.
- Measure ingredients accurately: Use a kitchen scale or proper measuring cups and spoons to measure the ingredients accurately. This will ensure that the cookies have the right balance of flavor and texture.
- Chill the dough: Refrigerate the cookie dough for at least 30 minutes before baking. Chilled dough spreads less during baking, resulting in cookies that are thick and chewy.
- Use parchment paper or silicone baking mats: Line your baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats to prevent the cookies from sticking and ensure even baking.
- Rotate the pans: Halfway through baking, rotate the pans from the top rack to the bottom rack and vice versa to ensure that the cookies bake evenly.
Cookie Baking Time and Temperature
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and bake the cookies for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden. The center of the cookies may still appear slightly undercooked, but they will firm up as they cool. Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.