If you are looking for a delicious and easy alternative to traditional mayonnaise, then you should definitely try making your own vegan mayonnaise at home. This homemade version is not only healthier, but it also takes just a few minutes to prepare.
Making vegan mayonnaise is a great way to enjoy a creamy and tangy condiment without using any animal products. Instead of eggs, this recipe uses a combination of plant-based ingredients like soy milk or almond milk and oil. If you are allergic to soy, you can also use aquafaba, which is the liquid from cooked chickpeas, as a substitute.
Here is a simple recipe to make your own vegan mayonnaise:
- In a blender or food processor, combine 1 cup of soy milk or almond milk, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard, and a pinch of salt.
- Slowly add in 1 cup of vegetable oil or olive oil while blending on low speed.
- Continue blending until the mixture thickens and emulsifies, about 1-2 minutes.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste, adding more salt or lemon juice if desired.
- Transfer the mayonnaise to a jar or airtight container and store it in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Now you can enjoy your homemade vegan mayonnaise on sandwiches, salads, or as a dip for your favorite veggies. It’s a versatile and healthier alternative that doesn’t compromise on taste!
Ingredients and Equipment
- Plant-based milk: This is the base of your vegan mayonnaise. Opt for unsweetened varieties such as soy milk or almond milk.
- Vinegar or lemon juice: These acidic ingredients help to thicken and stabilize the mayonnaise. Choose white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or freshly squeezed lemon juice for a tangy flavor.
- Mustard: Mustard acts as an emulsifier and helps to bind the oil and milk together. Dijon mustard or yellow mustard are common choices.
- Oil: Use a neutral-flavored oil such as vegetable or canola oil to create a smooth and creamy texture. Avoid using strongly flavored oils like olive oil, as they can overpower the taste of the mayonnaise.
- Salt and pepper: Seasoning is essential for adding flavor to your vegan mayonnaise. Adjust the amount of salt and pepper to your personal taste.
In addition to the ingredients, you will need the following equipment:
- Blender or food processor: A blender or food processor is essential for emulsifying the ingredients and creating a creamy consistency. It will help to achieve a smooth texture without any lumps or separation.
- Measuring cups and spoons: Accurate measurement of the ingredients is important for achieving the right balance of flavors and textures in your vegan mayonnaise.
- Airtight container: Once you’ve made your vegan mayo, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator to keep it fresh. Mason jars or reusable plastic containers work well for this purpose.
|Plant-based milk||Blender or food processor|
|Vinegar or lemon juice||Measuring cups and spoons|
|Salt and pepper|
To make your own easy homemade vegan mayonnaise, follow these simple steps:
- 1 cup of unsweetened soy milk
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup of light olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- In a small bowl, combine the soy milk and lemon juice. Let it sit for about 5 minutes to allow the mixture to curdle slightly.
- In a blender or food processor, add the curdled soy milk mixture, Dijon mustard, and salt. Blend on low speed until well combined.
- While the blender or food processor is still running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. This will allow the mixture to emulsify and thicken into mayonnaise.
- Continue blending until the mixture has reached a smooth and creamy consistency. This usually takes about 1-2 minutes.
- Taste the mayonnaise and adjust the seasoning if necessary. You can add more salt or lemon juice to suit your taste preferences.
- Transfer the homemade vegan mayonnaise to a jar or container and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before using.
Here are a few helpful tips to ensure the best results with your homemade vegan mayonnaise:
- Make sure to use unsweetened soy milk to avoid any unwanted sweetness in the final product.
- Light olive oil works best for this recipe, as it has a mild flavor that won’t overpower the other ingredients.
- If you don’t have Dijon mustard, you can use regular mustard as a substitute, although the flavor may be slightly different.
- Refrigerating the mayonnaise for at least 1 hour allows the flavors to meld together and the mixture to thicken even more.
- Store the homemade vegan mayonnaise in the refrigerator and use it within 2 weeks.
Tips and Variations
- Use a handheld blender or food processor to ensure a smooth and creamy texture. This will help emulsify the ingredients and create a thicker consistency.
- Add the oil gradually, in a slow, steady stream, while blending. This will help the mixture emulsify properly and prevent it from separating.
- If the mayonnaise is too thick, you can thin it out by adding a little water or plant-based milk. Add it in small increments until you reach the desired consistency.
- For extra tanginess, you can add a squeeze of lemon juice or a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to the mayonnaise. This will give it a brighter flavor profile.
- Store the vegan mayonnaise in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for about 7-10 days.
You can customize your vegan mayonnaise by adding different flavors and ingredients. Here are a few variations to try:
|Garlic Aioli||Add minced garlic and a pinch of salt to the mayonnaise for a delicious garlic-infused flavor.|
|Spicy Chipotle||Mix in some chipotle peppers in adobo sauce or a dash of hot sauce for a smoky and spicy twist.|
|Herb Infused||Stir in chopped fresh herbs like basil, parsley, or dill to add a fresh and aromatic taste to your mayonnaise.|
|Curry Mayo||Blend in some curry powder or paste for a unique and exotic flavor that pairs well with sandwiches and wraps.|
Feel free to experiment with different variations and find your favorite combination of flavors. Homemade vegan mayonnaise allows you to have complete control over the ingredients and create a condiment that suits your taste preferences.