If you’re a fan of Chinese cuisine, you’re likely familiar with the delicious dish known as Fried Carrot Cake. Despite its name, this dish doesn’t actually contain any carrot. Instead, it is made from a mixture of rice flour and white radish, which gives it a unique taste and texture. Fried Carrot Cake is a popular street food in Singapore and Malaysia, and is often enjoyed for breakfast or as a snack.
To make Fried Carrot Cake, you’ll need a few key ingredients, including rice flour, white radish, and eggs. Start by grating the white radish and mixing it with rice flour to form a thick batter. Then, steam the batter until it is cooked and firm. Once the batter has cooled, slice it into small pieces.
- Grate the white radish
- Mix it with rice flour to form a batter
- Steam the batter and let it cool
- Slice the cooked batter into small pieces
In a separate pan, heat some oil and fry the sliced carrot cake pieces until they are golden brown and crispy on the outside. Set aside the fried carrot cake and cook some beaten eggs in the same pan. Once the eggs are cooked, add the fried carrot cake back into the pan and stir-fry everything together. Season with soy sauce, salt, and pepper to taste.
Finally, garnish the Fried Carrot Cake with chopped spring onions and serve it hot. This delicious dish is best enjoyed with a side of chili sauce for an extra kick of spice. Whether you’re a fan of Chinese cuisine or simply looking to try something new, making Fried Carrot Cake at home is a tasty and rewarding experience.
Ingredients for Fried Carrot Cake
- Radish cake: This is the main ingredient for the dish. It is made from grated radish and rice flour.
- Eggs: Eggs are used to create a rich and creamy texture in the dish.
- Garlic: Garlic adds a flavorful kick to the dish.
- Scallions: Scallions provide a fresh and aromatic taste to the Fried Carrot Cake.
- Bean sprouts: Bean sprouts add a crunchy texture to the dish.
- Dried shrimp: Dried shrimp add a savory and umami flavor to the Fried Carrot Cake.
- Dark soy sauce: Dark soy sauce is used to give the dish a rich and dark color.
- Vegetable oil: Vegetable oil is used for frying the Fried Carrot Cake.
- White pepper: White pepper adds a subtle heat to the dish.
- Salt: Salt is used to season the Fried Carrot Cake.
These ingredients come together to create a flavorful and satisfying Fried Carrot Cake. Make sure to have all of them ready before you start cooking!
Step-by-Step Instructions on Cooking Fried Carrot Cake
- 500g white radish (daikon), grated
- 200g rice flour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Chopped spring onions for garnish
Step 1: Prepare the White Radish and Rice Flour Mixture
- Peel and grate the white radish.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the grated radish, rice flour, and water. Mix well to form a smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into a greased steaming tray and steam over medium heat for about 40 minutes, or until the carrot cake is set. Allow it to cool completely before cutting into cubes.
Step 2: Fry the Carrot Cake
- Heat vegetable oil in a large wok or frying pan over medium heat.
- Add minced garlic and stir-fry until fragrant.
- Add the cubed carrot cake and stir-fry for a few minutes until slightly crispy.
- Push the carrot cake to one side of the wok or frying pan, then pour the beaten eggs onto the empty side. Allow the eggs to cook slightly before scrambling them with a spatula.
- Mix the scrambled eggs with the carrot cake.
- Add light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar, salt, and white pepper. Stir-fry for another 2-3 minutes until everything is well combined and heated through.
Step 3: Serve
Garnish the fried carrot cake with chopped spring onions and serve hot as a delicious snack or side dish. It pairs well with sweet chili sauce or sambal for that extra kick of flavor. Enjoy!
Tips and Tricks to Enhance the Flavors
1. Choose fresh carrots: The quality of the carrots you use can make a big difference in the taste of the Fried Carrot Cake. Make sure to choose fresh, firm carrots with vibrant orange color. Avoid using carrots that are soft or have any signs of spoilage.
2. Use a flavorful broth: Instead of using plain water to cook the rice flour mixture, you can enhance the flavors by using a flavorful broth. Chicken or vegetable broth can add an additional layer of taste to the Fried Carrot Cake. You can also add some dried shrimp or dried scallops to the broth for extra umami.
|Tips and Tricks to Enhance the Flavors|
|Choose fresh carrots|
|Use a flavorful broth|
|Experiment with different sauces and condiments|
|Add a variety of toppings and garnishes|
3. Experiment with different sauces and condiments: To elevate the flavors of the Fried Carrot Cake, you can try using different sauces and condiments. Traditional options include soy sauce, oyster sauce, and chili sauce. You can also add some garlic, ginger, or scallions for an extra kick of flavor.
4. Add a variety of toppings and garnishes: To make your Fried Carrot Cake more visually appealing and flavorful, you can add a variety of toppings and garnishes. Some popular options include crispy fried shallots, chopped fresh cilantro, and sliced chili peppers. These toppings not only add texture and taste but also enhance the overall presentation of the dish.
By following these tips and tricks, you can take your Fried Carrot Cake to the next level and create a dish that is bursting with flavors.