If you are a fan of Asian cuisine, you have probably come across Singaporean Radish Cake at some point. This popular dish is a savory cake made with radish, rice flour, and a variety of ingredients such as shrimps, Chinese sausages, and mushrooms. The cake is usually steamed and then pan-fried to create a crispy outer layer, while the inside remains soft and flavorful.
Making Singaporean Radish Cake may seem like a daunting task, but with the right ingredients and steps, you can recreate this delicious dish at home. Here is a simple recipe to guide you:
- Prepare the ingredients: You will need radish, rice flour, dried shrimps, Chinese sausages, mushrooms, garlic, and seasonings such as soy sauce and white pepper.
- Grate the radish and soak the dried shrimps and mushrooms.
- Saute the garlic, dried shrimps, Chinese sausages, and mushrooms until fragrant.
- Add the grated radish and seasonings to the pan, and cook until the radish becomes tender.
- In a separate bowl, mix the rice flour with water to create a smooth batter.
- Add the radish mixture to the batter and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into a greased pan and steam for about an hour, or until the cake is firm.
- Remove the cake from the pan and let it cool.
- Once the cake is cooled, slice it into pieces and pan-fry until crispy on both sides.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!
Now that you know the steps, you can easily make Singaporean Radish Cake at home. Experiment with different ingredients and seasonings to create your own unique version of this delectable dish.
Discover the traditional Singaporean Radish Cake
The traditional radish cake is made by grating the radish and mixing it with rice flour, water, and seasoning. The mixture is then steamed until it solidifies and becomes a cake-like texture. After steaming, the radish cake is cut into small cubes and then fried in a pan with garlic, preserved radish, eggs, and other ingredients. It is cooked until the outside is crispy and golden brown, while the inside remains soft and tender.
The radish cake is typically served with soy sauce or chili sauce on the side. It is a savory dish with a slightly sweet and umami flavor from the radish. The texture of the cake is soft and chewy on the inside, with a crispy exterior. It is often garnished with spring onions and served hot.
Here is a recipe for traditional Singaporean Radish Cake:
- Grate radish and mix with rice flour, water, and seasoning.
- Steam the mixture until it solidifies and becomes a cake-like texture.
- Cut the radish cake into small cubes.
- Heat a pan with oil and add garlic, preserved radish, and other ingredients.
- Add the radish cake cubes to the pan and fry until crispy and golden brown.
- Serve hot with soy sauce or chili sauce.
|– Radish||1. Grate radish and mix with rice flour, water, and seasoning.|
|– Rice flour||2. Steam the mixture until it solidifies and becomes a cake-like texture.|
|– Water||3. Cut the radish cake into small cubes.|
|– Seasoning||4. Heat a pan with oil and add garlic, preserved radish, and other ingredients.|
|– Garlic||5. Add the radish cake cubes to the pan and fry until crispy and golden brown.|
|– Preserved radish||6. Serve hot with soy sauce or chili sauce.|
Ingredients and Preparation
If you want to make Singaporean Radish Cake at home, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 ½ cups of rice flour
- 1 ¼ cups of water
- 1 ½ cups of grated radish
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 4 to 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons of dried shrimp
- 2 Chinese sausages, diced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of oyster sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
To prepare the radish cake:
- In a bowl, mix the rice flour and water together until smooth.
- In a frying pan, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the shiitake mushrooms and sauté until they are soft. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat another tablespoon of vegetable oil and sauté the garlic, dried shrimp, Chinese sausages, and shallots until fragrant.
- Add the grated radish to the pan and cook until it softens.
- Add the cooked mixture to the rice flour mixture and stir well.
- Season the mixture with soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, salt, and pepper according to your taste.
- Pour the mixture into a greased baking tin or dish.
- Steam the radish cake over high heat for about 45 minutes or until set.
- Let it cool completely before cutting it into pieces.
Once you have prepared the radish cake, you can choose to fry it by slicing it into squares and pan-frying until crispy. Serve it with your favorite chili sauce or soy sauce for dipping.
Learn about the key ingredients and steps involved in making Singaporean Radish Cake
Making Singaporean Radish Cake, also known as Chai Tau Kway, involves a few key ingredients and a step-by-step process that results in a delicious and savory dish. Let’s take a look at the main ingredients and the steps involved.
The main ingredient in Singaporean Radish Cake is radish, also known as daikon. It is grated and combined with rice flour, water, and a few other ingredients to form a batter. Other key ingredients include dried shrimp, garlic, and Chinese sausage, which add flavor and texture to the dish. Additionally, soy sauce and oyster sauce are used for seasoning.
- Grate the radish and squeeze out any excess water. This will help ensure that the radish cake has a firm texture.
- In a large bowl, combine the grated radish with rice flour, water, salt, and white pepper. Mix well to form a batter.
- In a pan, heat oil and fry the dried shrimp, garlic, and Chinese sausage until fragrant. Add the radish batter and cook over medium heat, stirring continuously.
- Cook the radish batter until it thickens and becomes sticky. This usually takes about 10-15 minutes.
- Pour the cooked radish batter into a greased pan and steam for about an hour, until the radish cake is firm and cooked through.
- Once the radish cake is cooked, let it cool before cutting it into slices.
- In another pan, heat oil and fry the sliced radish cake until it turns golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- Finally, season the fried radish cake with soy sauce and oyster sauce to enhance the flavor.
- Serve the Singaporean Radish Cake hot, garnished with spring onions and accompanied by chili sauce.
By following these steps and using the key ingredients, you can make a delicious Singaporean Radish Cake that is full of flavor and texture. It is a popular dish in Singaporean cuisine and is enjoyed by many.