The Teh Tarik-Tarek is a popular Malaysian tea drink that is known for its strong flavor and unique preparation method. The name “Teh Tarik-Tarek” literally translates to “pulled tea” in English, which refers to the way it is traditionally made by “pulling” the tea to create a frothy texture.
Step 1: Prepare the ingredients
To make Teh Tarik-Tarek, you will need the following ingredients:
- Black tea leaves
- Boiling water
- Sugar or condensed milk
- Evaporated milk
Step 2: Brew the tea
Start by brewing the black tea leaves in boiling water. You can use a tea bag or loose tea leaves, whichever you prefer. Let the tea steep for a few minutes until it reaches your desired strength.
Step 3: Sweeten the tea
Add sugar or condensed milk to the brewed tea to sweeten it. The amount of sweetener you add will depend on your personal preference, so taste as you go and adjust accordingly.
Step 4: Pull the tea
The unique aspect of Teh Tarik-Tarek is the way it is prepared. To create the frothy texture, pour the brewed tea from one container to another from a height, alternating between the two containers. This motion “pulls” the tea and creates bubbles, giving it the signature texture.
Note: Be careful when performing this step to avoid any spills or accidents.
Step 5: Serve and enjoy
Pour the Teh Tarik-Tarek into cups or mugs and top each serving with evaporated milk for added creaminess. You can also garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon or cardamom for extra flavor. Serve the tea hot and enjoy its rich and aromatic taste.
Now that you know how to make Teh Tarik-Tarek, you can impress your friends and family with this delicious Malaysian tea drink.
What is Teh Tarik-Tarek?
To make Teh Tarik-Tarek, black tea leaves are steeped in hot water to create a strong and flavorful brew. The tea is then mixed with condensed milk and sugar to add sweetness and creaminess. The key step in preparing Teh Tarik-Tarek is the “pulling” process, where the tea is poured back and forth between two containers from a height. This not only cools down the tea but also creates the signature frothy texture.
Once the Teh Tarik-Tarek is ready, it is poured into small cups and served hot. It is a popular drink in Malaysia, enjoyed both at local street food stalls and in upscale cafes. Teh Tarik-Tarek is often paired with local dishes such as roti canai or nasi lemak, and it is also a favorite beverage to have with breakfast or during tea time.
Overall, Teh Tarik-Tarek is not just a delicious and comforting drink, but also a cultural symbol of Malaysia. Its unique preparation method and rich taste make it a must-try for anyone visiting or interested in Malaysian cuisine.
Ingredients for Teh Tarik-Tarek
- Black tea: Use a high-quality black tea, preferably loose leaf, for the best flavor. Assam tea is commonly used for Teh Tarik-Tarek.
- Water: You will need water to brew the tea. Use filtered water for the best taste.
- Condensed milk: This sweet, sticky milk is a key ingredient in Teh Tarik-Tarek. It adds richness and sweetness to the drink.
- Ice cubes: Ice cubes are used to chill the drink and give it a refreshing taste.
To make Teh Tarik-Tarek, start by brewing the black tea in hot water. Let it steep for a few minutes to extract the flavor. Then, strain the tea into a serving cup. Add condensed milk according to your taste preference. Use a spoon or a tea sock to “pull” the tea back and forth between two cups, creating a frothy texture. Once the tea is well-mixed and frothy, pour it into a glass filled with ice cubes. Serve the Teh Tarik-Tarek immediately and enjoy!
There are several types of tea leaves that can be used to make Teh Tarik-Tarek:
- Black tea leaves: These leaves are fully oxidized, resulting in a rich and robust flavor. They are commonly used in Teh Tarik-Tarek as they provide a bold and strong taste.
- Green tea leaves: These leaves are unoxidized, resulting in a milder and more vegetal flavor. They can be used in Teh Tarik-Tarek for a lighter and refreshing taste.
- Oolong tea leaves: These leaves are partially oxidized, resulting in a flavor profile that falls between black and green tea. They can be used in Teh Tarik-Tarek to add complexity and depth to the drink.
When making Teh Tarik-Tarek, it is important to choose high-quality tea leaves to ensure a flavorful and satisfying drink. The leaves should be fresh and properly stored to retain their aroma and taste. Additionally, the brewing process, including the temperature and steeping time, should be carefully controlled to extract the best flavors from the tea leaves.
The process of making condensed milk begins by simmering regular milk and sugar together until the mixture reduces and thickens. This concentrated milk is then cooled and stored in cans. The sugar in condensed milk acts as a natural preservative, helping to extend its shelf life.
Condensed milk is a versatile ingredient that is used in a wide range of recipes. It can be used as a topping for desserts like ice cream and puddings, as well as a sweetener for coffee and tea. Condensed milk is also a common ingredient in many traditional desserts and sweets, such as fudge, caramel candies, and tres leches cake.
Benefits of Condensed Milk:
- Convenience: Condensed milk has a long shelf life and can be stored at room temperature, making it a convenient pantry staple.
- Sweetness: Due to its high sugar content, condensed milk provides a natural sweetness to recipes without the need for additional sugar.
- Richness: The thick consistency of condensed milk adds a creamy and luxurious texture to both hot and cold beverages and desserts.
Comparison with Regular Milk:
Condensed milk differs from regular milk in terms of its water content and sugar content. While regular milk contains around 87% water, condensed milk has had most of its water removed, resulting in a thicker and more concentrated product. Additionally, condensed milk is much sweeter than regular milk due to the added sugar.
|Condensed Milk||Regular Milk|
|Water Content||Approximately 25%||Approximately 87%|
|Consistency||Thick and creamy||Thin and liquid|
Due to its concentrated nature, condensed milk should be used in moderation. While it can enhance the flavor and texture of dishes, the high sugar content means it should be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.