Swordfish kabobs are a delicious and healthy option for any summer cookout or backyard barbecue. This recipe combines the flavors of lemon, pepper, and grilled swordfish to create a dish that is bursting with flavor. Whether you are a seafood lover or just looking to try something new, these kabobs are sure to be a hit at your next gathering.
To make lemon pepper grilled swordfish kabobs, you will need the following ingredients: swordfish steaks, lemons, olive oil, black pepper, salt, and fresh herbs such as parsley or dill. Start by cutting the swordfish into cubes, about 1 inch in size. This will ensure that the fish cooks evenly on the grill.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, black pepper, salt, and the juice from one lemon. This will be the marinade for the swordfish cubes.
- Place the swordfish cubes in a shallow dish and pour the marinade over them. Make sure all of the fish is coated evenly. Cover the dish and let it marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- While the swordfish is marinating, prepare your grill for indirect grilling. This means that the heat source should be on one side of the grill, and the fish will be cooked on the other side.
- Thread the swordfish cubes onto skewers, alternating with slices of lemon. This will add even more flavor to the kabobs and prevent the fish from sticking to the grill.
- Place the kabobs on the grill over indirect heat. Cook for about 5-7 minutes per side, or until the swordfish is cooked through and has developed a nice char from the grill.
- Once the kabobs are done, remove them from the grill and let them rest for a few minutes before serving. This will allow the juices to redistribute and ensure that the fish is tender and flavorful.
- Garnish the kabobs with fresh herbs, such as parsley or dill, before serving. This will add a pop of color and a burst of freshness to the dish.
- Serve the lemon pepper grilled swordfish kabobs with a side of your choice, such as grilled vegetables or a fresh salad. Enjoy!
Tips for Grilling Perfect Swordfish Kabobs
Choose the right swordfish: When selecting swordfish for kabobs, it’s important to choose fresh, high-quality fish. Look for firm, meaty cuts with a bright, glossy appearance. Avoid any fish that looks dull or has a strong odor.
- Trim and marinate the swordfish: Before grilling, it’s important to trim the swordfish and remove any skin or dark areas. Cut the fish into evenly sized cubes, about 1-2 inches in diameter, to ensure even cooking.
- Marinate the swordfish for at least 30 minutes to an hour before grilling. A simple marinade made with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and herbs like rosemary or thyme can add flavor and help tenderize the fish.
Preheat and oil the grill: Preheating the grill is essential for achieving perfect kabobs. Heat the grill to medium-high heat and oil the grates to prevent the fish from sticking. This will also help create those beautiful grill marks on the swordfish.
- Thread the swordfish onto skewers: Thread the marinated swordfish onto skewers, leaving a little space between each piece for even cooking. Soak wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes before use to prevent them from burning on the grill.
- Grill the kabobs: Place the swordfish kabobs on the preheated grill and cook for about 4-6 minutes per side, or until the fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork. Avoid overcooking the fish, as it can become dry.
Serve and enjoy: Once the swordfish kabobs are grilled to perfection, remove them from the grill and allow them to rest for a few minutes before serving. This will help the juices redistribute throughout the fish, resulting in a more flavorful kabob. Serve the kabobs with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a sprinkle of freshly chopped herbs for an extra burst of flavor.
By following these simple tips, you can grill perfect swordfish kabobs that are full of flavor and have a tender, succulent texture. So fire up the grill and get ready to impress your friends and family with this delicious seafood dish!