If you’re craving for a delicious and spicy Malaysian fish dish, look no further than Ikan Masak Merah! This dish is popular in Malaysia and is often served during special occasions and festive seasons. Ikan Masak Merah literally means “red-cooked fish” in Malay, referring to the vibrant red color of the dish. It is a flavorful and aromatic dish that combines the sweetness of tomatoes with the spiciness of chili and the tanginess of tamarind.
To make this easy Ikan Masak Merah recipe, you will need a few key ingredients including a whole fish (such as red snapper or mackerel), shallots, garlic, red chilies, tomatoes, tamarind paste, and a blend of spices like turmeric, chili powder, and coriander. The fish is first marinated with salt and turmeric powder, then pan-fried until golden brown. Meanwhile, a fragrant paste is made by blending shallots, garlic, and red chilies, which is then cooked with the spices until aromatic.
Once the paste is fragrant, tomatoes and tamarind paste are added to create a rich and tangy sauce. The fish is then simmered in this sauce until cooked through and absorbs all the flavors. Serve the Ikan Masak Merah hot with steamed rice and garnish with some fresh cilantro or sliced red chilies for an extra kick. This dish is perfect for spice lovers and is sure to impress your family and friends!
Overview of Ikan Masak Merah Recipe
To prepare Ikan Masak Merah, the fish is first marinated with a mixture of turmeric, salt, and lemon juice. This helps to infuse the fish with flavor and remove any fishy odor. The marinated fish is then fried until it is golden brown and crispy on the outside.
The sauce for Ikan Masak Merah is made by sautéing onions, garlic, and ginger in oil until they become fragrant. Tomato puree, chili paste, and a blend of spices such as cumin, coriander, and chili powder are then added to the mixture. This creates a rich and spicy base for the sauce.
The fried fish is then added to the sauce and simmered until it is cooked through and absorbs the flavors of the sauce. The dish is typically garnished with fresh cilantro or parsley and served with steamed rice or roti.
Ingredients and cooking instructions for Ikan Masak Merah
- 500g fish (preferably red snapper or mackerel)
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 2 red chilies, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chili paste (or use chili powder)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Heat the cooking oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, grated ginger, and sliced red chilies. Saute until the onion becomes translucent.
- Next, add the chili paste, turmeric powder, cumin powder, and coriander powder. Stir well to combine.
- Add the tomato paste and diced tomatoes to the pan. Stir again to mix all the ingredients together.
- Season the sauce with sugar and salt to taste.
- Lower the heat and let the sauce simmer for about 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Add the fish into the pan, making sure it is fully submerged in the sauce.
- Cover the pan and let the fish cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until it is fully cooked.
- Once the fish is cooked, remove from heat and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve the Ikan Masak Merah hot, with steamed rice or bread.
With these simple instructions and readily available ingredients, you can easily prepare a flavorful Ikan Masak Merah that will surely impress your family and friends. Enjoy!
Step-by-step guide to prepare Ikan Masak Merah
- 500g fish (such as red snapper or mackerel)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili paste
- 3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup water
- Cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Start by cleaning the fish thoroughly and make a few slits on each side. Rub some salt on the fish and set it aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry the fish until crispy and golden brown. Remove the fish from the pan and set it aside.
- In the same pan, add some more oil if needed, and sauté the chopped onions and minced garlic until they turn golden brown and fragrant.
- Add the chili paste to the pan and stir fry it for a couple of minutes to release its flavors.
- Next, add the tomato ketchup, soy sauce, fish sauce, tamarind paste, sugar, and water to the pan. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Add the fried fish to the sauce, making sure it is fully coated. Simmer for another 5 minutes to allow the fish to absorb the flavors.
- Finally, taste the sauce and adjust the seasoning according to your preference. If you prefer it spicier, you can add more chili paste or chopped chili.
- Once the fish is cooked through and the sauce has thickened, remove from heat and serve hot with steamed rice or bread.
Now, you are ready to enjoy the vibrant and spicy flavors of Ikan Masak Merah. This dish is perfect for any occasion, whether you are hosting a dinner party or simply craving for a delicious homemade meal. Give it a try and impress your family and friends with your culinary skills!
Preparation and Cooking Process for Ikan Masak Merah
- First, clean the red snapper fish thoroughly by removing the scales, gills, and internal organs. Rinse the fish under running water to remove any impurities.
- Next, make shallow cuts on both sides of the fish to allow the marinade to penetrate. Pat the fish dry with a paper towel.
- Prepare the marinade by blending together shallots, garlic, ginger, red chilies, tomato paste, turmeric powder, and salt. You can adjust the amount of chilies according to your desired level of spiciness.
- Coat the fish with the marinade, making sure to rub it into the cuts and all over the fish. Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- While the fish is marinating, prepare the other ingredients. Slice onions and red bell peppers into thin strips. Set aside.
In a large pan or wok, heat oil over medium heat. Add in the sliced onions and red bell peppers and sauté until they become soft and fragrant.
Once the onions and red bell peppers are cooked, add in the marinated fish and the remaining marinade. Cook the fish on each side for about 5 minutes or until it is cooked through.
Finally, add in tomato puree and water to the pan. Stir well to combine all the ingredients and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 10 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
Serve the Ikan Masak Merah hot with steamed rice or roti. Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves for an added touch of freshness. Enjoy the spicy and tangy flavors of this delicious Malaysian dish!