Sausage gravy is a classic Southern breakfast dish that is popular in the United States. It is a creamy and flavorful gravy made with ground sausage, flour, milk, and seasonings. Sausage gravy is typically served over biscuits, creating a hearty and satisfying meal. The dish is known for its rich and savory taste, making it a comfort food favorite for many people. Whether enjoyed for breakfast or brunch, sausage gravy is a delicious and filling dish that is perfect for starting the day on a flavorful note.
To make sausage gravy, you will need a few key ingredients. Ground breakfast sausage is the star of the show, providing the base flavor for the gravy. All-purpose flour is used to thicken the gravy, while milk helps to create a creamy texture. Seasonings such as salt, black pepper, and garlic powder add depth and flavor to the dish. The gravy is typically cooked in a skillet, allowing the flavors to meld together and creating a savory sauce. Once the gravy is ready, it is poured over warm biscuits, allowing the flavors to combine and create a delicious Southern breakfast staple.
The following are the key ingredients needed to make Sausage Gravy:
- Ground pork sausage: This is the main ingredient of the gravy. It adds flavor and richness to the dish. Choose a good quality sausage for the best results.
- All-purpose flour: Flour is used to thicken the gravy. It helps create a smooth and creamy texture.
- Milk: Milk is the base for the gravy. It provides a creamy and luscious consistency. You can use whole milk or a combination of milk and heavy cream for a richer gravy.
- Salt and pepper: These seasonings are essential for enhancing the flavors of the gravy. Adjust the amount according to your taste preference.
- Butter: Butter is used to cook the sausage and create a rich base for the gravy. It adds a smooth and savory taste.
To make the Sausage Gravy, you will also need basic kitchen utensils such as a skillet or frying pan, a whisk or spoon for stirring, and a stove or cooktop for cooking the ingredients.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Making Sausage Gravy
If you’re looking for a comforting and delicious breakfast, look no further than homemade sausage gravy. This creamy and savory gravy is perfect for pouring over biscuits or served with scrambled eggs. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to make sausage gravy:
- 1 pound of ground sausage
- 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour
- 3 cups of milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the sausage:
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the ground sausage.
- Use a spatula to break up the sausage into small pieces and cook until browned.
- Remove the cooked sausage from the skillet, leaving the drippings behind.
- Make the gravy:
- Add the flour to the skillet with the sausage drippings and whisk until smooth.
- Cook the flour mixture for a minute to eliminate the raw flour taste.
- Gradually pour in the milk while whisking constantly to avoid lumps.
- Cook the gravy over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until it thickens to your desired consistency.
Now your sausage gravy is ready to be served. Pour it over biscuits, toast, or eggs for a delicious and hearty breakfast. Enjoy!
Expert Tips for Making Sausage Gravy
When it comes to making delicious sausage gravy, professional chefs have a few helpful tips to ensure a mouthwatering result. Here are some expert tips to consider:
- Choosing the right sausage: Opt for high-quality sausage that is well-seasoned and has a good balance of fat and lean meat. This will give your gravy rich flavor and a smooth consistency.
- Browning the sausage: Before adding the flour and liquid to make the gravy, brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat. This will not only cook the sausage thoroughly but also add a depth of flavor to the dish.
- Using the right ratio of fat, flour, and liquid: The key to a perfect sausage gravy lies in the right ratio of fat, flour, and liquid. Generally, it is recommended to use equal parts fat and flour (such as 1/4 cup of fat and 1/4 cup of flour for 2 cups of liquid). Adjust the liquid based on the desired thickness of the gravy.
- Seasoning with care: Sausage gravy often contains salty ingredients like sausage and broth, so be cautious when adding additional salt. Taste the gravy and adjust the seasoning accordingly. Additionally, adding a pinch of black pepper or herbs like thyme or sage can enhance the flavor profile.
By following these expert tips, you can elevate your sausage gravy and create a hearty and flavorful dish that will satisfy the taste buds of any breakfast or brunch lover.
I recently tried the Sausage Gravy recipe and it was absolutely delicious. The combination of the savory sausage and creamy gravy was a match made in heaven. The recipe was easy to follow, and the end result was a hearty and comforting dish that my family thoroughly enjoyed.
The sausage added a rich and deep flavor to the gravy, and it was perfectly seasoned with just the right amount of spices. It had a nice balance of saltiness and smokiness, which complemented the creamy texture of the gravy. The gravy itself was smooth and velvety, with a hint of sweetness that rounded out the flavors.
I served the Sausage Gravy over warm biscuits, and it was the perfect breakfast or brunch dish. The gravy soaked into the biscuits, creating a melt-in-your-mouth experience. The combination of flavors and textures was incredibly satisfying, and it left me craving more.
I recently tried the Sausage Gravy recipe, and I must say, it was absolutely delicious! The combination of the creamy gravy and the flavorful sausage was perfection. I followed the recipe step by step, and it was very easy to follow. The instructions were clear, and the ingredients were easy to find at my local supermarket.
I started by browning the sausage in a skillet until it was cooked through and nice and crispy. Then, I added flour to the sausage drippings to create a roux, which gave the gravy a thick and velvety texture. I slowly poured in the milk, stirring constantly to prevent any lumps from forming.
After the gravy had thickened to my desired consistency, I seasoned it with salt, pepper, and a touch of paprika for added flavor. I served the Sausage Gravy over warm biscuits, and it was a match made in heaven. The rich and savory gravy paired perfectly with the fluffy biscuits, creating a comforting and satisfying meal.
I highly recommend trying the Sausage Gravy recipe if you’re looking for a hearty and delicious breakfast or brunch option. It’s a crowd-pleaser that will leave you and your loved ones wanting more. Whether you’re a seasoned chef or a beginner in the kitchen, this recipe is sure to impress. Give it a try, and you won’t be disappointed!
The Sausage Gravy is simply mouthwatering! As a self-proclaimed food lover, I am always on the lookout for delicious and satisfying recipes, and this dish definitely hits the spot. The combination of savory sausage and creamy gravy creates a delightful explosion of flavors in every bite.
What sets this Sausage Gravy apart from others is the quality of the sausage. The meat is perfectly seasoned with a blend of herbs and spices, giving it a rich and robust flavor. The gravy itself is smooth and velvety, coating the sausage pieces beautifully. It is the perfect consistency, not too thick or thin, making it easy to pour over biscuits or bread.
The simplicity of this recipe also adds to its appeal. With just a few basic ingredients, including sausage, flour, milk, and spices, you can create a flavorful and satisfying meal in no time. Whether you’re looking for a hearty breakfast or a comforting dinner, this Sausage Gravy is a winner.