If you’re a fan of bold and spicy flavors, then Sambal Udang, or Spicy Shrimp, is a dish you must try. Originating from Southeast Asia, this recipe combines the succulent taste of shrimp with a fiery and aromatic sauce made from a blend of spices and chili peppers.
The star ingredient of this dish is the shrimp, which is known for its sweet and tender meat. The shrimp are first marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, lime juice, and garlic to enhance their flavor. Then, they are cooked in a spicy sauce made from a rich blend of tomatoes, red chili peppers, onions, and spices like cumin and coriander.
To serve, the spicy shrimp is topped with cilantro leaves and can be enjoyed with steamed rice or as a filling for tacos or wraps. The combination of the succulent shrimp and the fiery sauce creates a delicious explosion of flavors that will leave you wanting more.
Ingredients and Preparation
To make this dish, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 pound of shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of sambal oelek (spicy chili paste)
- 1 tablespoon of tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
To prepare the dish, follow these steps:
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Add the minced garlic and chopped onion to the pan and sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add the shrimp to the pan and cook until they turn pink and opaque.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the sambal oelek, tamarind paste, soy sauce, and sugar.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the cooked shrimp and stir well to coat the shrimp evenly.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Continue cooking for another 2-3 minutes, until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat and serve hot.
Once prepared, this spicy shrimp dish can be enjoyed on its own as a main course or served as part of a larger meal with rice or noodles. The sambal oelek adds a spicy kick to the dish, while the tamarind paste and soy sauce provide a tangy and savory flavor. It is a quick and easy recipe that is sure to satisfy any seafood lover.
Cooking Instructions and Serving
- Clean and devein the shrimp, making sure to remove the shells and veins.
- In a large pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onions to the pan and sauté until they become fragrant and lightly browned.
- Next, add the shrimp to the pan and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until they turn pink and opaque.
- While the shrimp is cooking, prepare the sambal sauce. In a separate bowl, mix together the chili paste, soy sauce, sugar, and lime juice until well combined.
- Pour the sambal sauce over the cooked shrimp in the pan and stir gently to coat the shrimp evenly.
- Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, until the sauce has thickened and the flavors have melded together.
Once the shrimp are cooked and the sauce has thickened, it’s time to serve this spicy shrimp dish. Here are a few serving suggestions:
- Transfer the cooked shrimp to a serving platter or individual plates.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro or parsley for a fresh burst of flavor.
- Accompany the dish with steamed rice or noodles for a complete meal.
- Serve with a side of vegetables, such as broccoli or green beans, to add some extra color and nutrients.
Now, you can enjoy the flavorful and spicy shrimp dish (Sambal Udang) that you have prepared!