If you’re tired of the same old pizza toppings, it’s time to try something new and exciting. This Butternut Squash and Pesto Pizza recipe is a delicious twist on a classic favorite. Instead of the traditional tomato sauce, this pizza is topped with a homemade basil pesto, which adds a fresh and vibrant flavor. The star ingredient, however, is the roasted butternut squash, which brings a sweet and slightly nutty taste to the dish.
To make this pizza, you’ll need a few key ingredients. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 store-bought or homemade pizza dough
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into thin slices
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
First, roast the butternut squash slices in the oven until they are tender and slightly caramelized. While the squash is roasting, prepare the pesto sauce by blending the basil leaves, minced garlic, pine nuts, grated Parmesan cheese, and olive oil in a food processor or blender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Once the butternut squash and pesto sauce are ready, it’s time to assemble the pizza. Roll out the pizza dough on a floured surface and transfer it to a greased baking sheet. Spread a generous amount of the pesto sauce on the dough, then arrange the roasted butternut squash slices on top. Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese if desired.
Bake the pizza in a preheated oven at 425°F (220°C) for about 15-20 minutes, or until the crust is crispy and golden. Remove from the oven and let it cool slightly before slicing and serving. This Butternut Squash and Pesto Pizza is a perfect choice for a cozy dinner at home or a party with friends. Enjoy!
What is Butternut Squash and Pesto Pizza?
To make this pizza, you start by roasting cubes of butternut squash until they are tender and slightly caramelized. Meanwhile, you prepare a fresh pesto sauce using basil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil. The pesto adds a vibrant and herby flavor to the pizza.
Once the butternut squash is roasted and the pesto sauce is ready, you assemble the pizza. You can use store-bought pizza dough or make your own from scratch. Spread a thin layer of the pesto sauce on the dough, then top it with the roasted butternut squash, crumbled goat cheese, and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for a touch of heat.
After assembling the pizza, it is baked in a hot oven until the crust is crispy and the cheese is melted and bubbly. The result is a pizza with a unique combination of flavors and textures. The sweetness of the butternut squash pairs perfectly with the tanginess of the goat cheese and the herbal notes of the pesto.
Butternut squash and pesto pizza is a great option for vegetarians or anyone looking to try something different and delicious. It is perfect for a cozy night in or for serving at a dinner party. Next time you’re craving pizza, give this flavorful and satisfying variation a try!
Why Try Butternut Squash and Pesto Pizza?
If you’re looking for a unique and delicious pizza recipe, then you should definitely try the Butternut Squash and Pesto Pizza. This pizza combines the creamy and slightly sweet flavor of butternut squash with the fresh and aromatic taste of pesto, resulting in a truly mouthwatering combination.
One of the main reasons to try this pizza is the flavor combination. Butternut squash adds a rich and velvety texture to the pizza, while also bringing a hint of sweetness. This pairs perfectly with the bold and vibrant flavors of the pesto, which is made from fresh basil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil. The combination of the creamy squash and the herby pesto creates a delicious balance of flavors that will satisfy even the most discerning palate.
Another reason to try this pizza is its nutritional value. Butternut squash is a great source of vitamins A and C, as well as fiber and potassium. It is also low in calories and fat, making it a healthy and filling option. Additionally, pesto is packed with antioxidants and healthy fats from the olive oil and pine nuts, which are beneficial for heart health. By choosing this pizza, you can enjoy a delicious meal while also getting a dose of vitamins and nutrients.
How to Make Butternut Squash and Pesto Pizza
- 1 pre-made pizza crust
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1 cup pesto sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Fresh basil leaves, for garnish
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C) and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel and dice the butternut squash into small cubes. Toss them in olive oil, salt, and pepper, then spread them out on the prepared baking sheet. Roast in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the squash is tender and slightly caramelized.
- In the meantime, roll out your pizza crust on a floured surface and transfer it to a baking sheet or pizza stone.
- Spread a layer of pesto sauce onto the crust, leaving a small border for the crust to rise.
- Once the butternut squash is ready, remove it from the oven and spread it evenly over the pesto sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake the pizza in the preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes. Garnish with fresh basil leaves.
- Slice and serve the butternut squash and pesto pizza while it’s still warm and enjoy!
This butternut squash and pesto pizza is a delightful combination of flavors that will impress your friends and family. The sweetness of the roasted squash, the rich and herby pesto, and the gooey melted cheese come together to create a truly satisfying dish. Whether it’s for a weekend dinner or a special occasion, this pizza recipe is a winner!
Ingredients for Butternut Squash and Pesto Pizza
- Butternut Squash: You will need one medium-sized butternut squash for this recipe. The squash adds a sweet and nutty flavor to the pizza.
- Pizza Dough: Use your favorite homemade or store-bought pizza dough for the crust. You can also use pre-made pizza crusts if desired.
- Pesto: The pesto is a crucial component of this pizza recipe. You can use store-bought pesto or make your own using fresh basil, garlic, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil.
- Goat Cheese: Goat cheese adds a creamy and tangy element to the pizza. Crumble it over the top for a burst of flavor.
- Red Onion: Thinly slice a red onion to add a hint of sweetness and a welcome crunch to the pizza.
- Arugula: Arugula adds a peppery and slightly bitter taste to balance out the sweetness of the squash. You can use a handful of arugula as a topping.
- Walnuts: Toasted walnuts bring a satisfying crunch and nuttiness to the pizza. Chop them into smaller pieces and sprinkle them over the top before baking.
- Olive Oil: Drizzle olive oil over the pizza before baking to help the toppings cook evenly and add extra flavor.
- Salt and Pepper: Season the pizza with salt and pepper to taste.
These ingredients come together to create a mouthwatering butternut squash and pesto pizza that is sure to impress. The combination of sweet butternut squash, savory pesto, tangy goat cheese, and crunchy walnuts creates a delicious medley of flavors and textures. Whether you’re a pizza lover or simply looking for a new twist on a classic dish, this recipe is definitely worth trying.