Are you craving some crispy, flavorful fried chicken? Look no further! This homemade spiced fried chicken recipe is the perfect solution. It’s quick, easy to make, and oh-so delicious!
To start off, gather all the necessary ingredients. You’ll need bone-in chicken pieces, such as thighs or drumsticks, for that juicy and tender meat. Then, create a flavorful spice blend using a combination of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and any other spices you prefer. This aromatic blend will infuse the chicken with incredible flavors.
Next, it’s time to marinate the chicken. Take the chicken pieces and generously rub the spice blend all over them, ensuring every nook and cranny is coated. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes or, for even better results, refrigerate it overnight. This step is crucial for a depth of flavor that will make your taste buds dance!
- Bone-in chicken pieces (thighs or drumsticks)
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Other preferred spices
Once the marinating time is up, it’s time to get frying! Heat a generous amount of oil in a large skillet or deep fryer until it reaches the ideal frying temperature of 350°F (175°C). Carefully place the chicken pieces into the hot oil, being mindful of any splatters. Fry the chicken in batches for about 8-10 minutes per side, or until it turns golden brown and reaches an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C).
Remove the chicken from the oil and let it drain on a wire rack or paper towels to remove any excess oil. The result will be beautifully crispy, spiced fried chicken that is sure to impress everyone at your table.
|Marinate chicken in homemade spice blend||Bone-in chicken pieces||Paprika||Garlic powder||Onion powder||Salt||Pepper||Other preferred spices|
|Fry chicken in hot oil||Oil|
So if you’re in the mood for some finger-licking good fried chicken, give this homemade spiced fried chicken recipe a try. With its perfectly seasoned crispy coating and juicy meat, it’s a dish that will satisfy even the most demanding taste buds.
How to Make Homemade Spiced Fried Chicken: A Step-by-Step Guide
- Start by marinating the chicken. In a bowl, combine your choice of chicken pieces with a mixture of spices such as paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper. Make sure each piece is coated evenly with the spice mixture. Cover the bowl and let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour, or overnight for a more intense flavor.
- Prepare the breading station. In one bowl, whisk together eggs with a splash of milk. In another bowl, combine flour with more spices such as paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper. Set up a clean plate for placing the breaded chicken.
- Bread the chicken. Take each marinated chicken piece, dip it into the egg mixture, allowing any excess to drip off, and then coat it in the seasoned flour mixture. Press the flour onto the chicken to ensure a thick and even coating. Place the breaded chicken on the clean plate and repeat the process for all the chicken pieces.
- Heat oil for frying. In a deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat vegetable or peanut oil to a temperature of 350°F (175°C). Ensure there is enough oil to submerge the chicken pieces completely.
- Fry the chicken. Carefully place a few chicken pieces into the hot oil using tongs or a slotted spoon. Avoid crowding the pan to maintain a consistent heat. Cook the chicken for about 10-12 minutes, flipping it occasionally, until it is golden brown and cooked through. Use a food thermometer to ensure the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F (74°C).
- Drain and serve. Once the chicken is cooked, transfer it onto a paper towel-lined plate or a wire rack to drain excess oil. Sprinkle with a bit of salt while it’s still hot. Serve the homemade spiced fried chicken hot and enjoy it with your favorite dipping sauces or alongside mashed potatoes and coleslaw.
Homemade spiced fried chicken is a crowd-pleasing dish that you can easily make at home. With this step-by-step guide, you can achieve a flavorful and crispy chicken that will satisfy your cravings. Experiment with different spices and seasonings to customize the flavor to your liking. Enjoy the satisfaction of making this tasty dish from scratch!
Ingredients and Equipment You’ll Need for Homemade Spiced Fried Chicken
- Chicken pieces: You will need chicken pieces such as drumsticks, thighs, or breasts for your fried chicken. These can be bone-in or boneless, depending on your preference.
- Buttermilk: Buttermilk is a crucial ingredient in the marinade for fried chicken. It helps tenderize the meat and adds a tangy flavor.
- Spices and herbs: A combination of spices and herbs is what gives the fried chicken its signature flavor. Some common spices and herbs used in spiced fried chicken recipes include paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, dried thyme, and salt.
- Flour: Flour is used to create a crispy coating on the chicken. You can use all-purpose flour or a combination of flour and cornstarch for added crispiness.
- Oil: To fry the chicken, you will need a neutral-tasting oil with a high smoke point, such as vegetable oil or canola oil.
- Deep-fry thermometer: A deep-fry thermometer is necessary to ensure that the oil reaches the correct temperature for frying the chicken.
- Large heavy-bottomed pot: You will need a large pot with a heavy bottom for frying the chicken. This type of pot helps distribute heat evenly and prevents the oil from overheating.
- Wire rack: A wire rack is used to place the fried chicken after cooking, allowing any excess oil to drain off and keeping the chicken crispy.
- Tongs: Tongs are essential for flipping the chicken pieces and removing them from the hot oil safely.
- Paper towels: Paper towels are used to absorb any excess oil from the fried chicken.
By having these ingredients and equipment on hand, you’ll be well-prepared to make delicious homemade spiced fried chicken. Experiment with different spice combinations and enjoy the flavorful, crispy results!