If you’re looking for a light and refreshing dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth, look no further than this delicious Light Lemon Angel Food Cake. Made with fluffy egg whites, zesty lemon juice, and a touch of sweetness, this cake is sure to impress.
This recipe is perfect for those who are watching their calories but still want to indulge in a dessert. With only a few simple ingredients, you can create a light and airy cake that is bursting with flavor. The secret to the lightness of this cake is beating the egg whites until they form stiff peaks, creating a delicate texture that melts in your mouth.
To make this Light Lemon Angel Food Cake, you’ll need:
- 1 1/2 cups egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
First, preheat your oven to 325°F and prepare a tube pan with non-stick cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine the egg whites, sugar, salt, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Using an electric mixer, beat the mixture on high until stiff peaks form. This should take about 7-8 minutes.
|1 1/2 cups egg whites||1. Preheat oven to 325°F|
|1 1/2 cups granulated sugar||2. Prepare a tube pan with non-stick cooking spray|
|1 cup cake flour||3. Combine egg whites, sugar, salt, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a bowl|
|1/4 teaspoon salt||4. Beat on high with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form|
|2 tablespoons lemon juice||5. Gently fold in the cake flour and vanilla extract|
|1 teaspoon lemon zest||6. Pour the batter into the prepared tube pan|
|1 teaspoon vanilla extract||7. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the top is golden brown|
Gently fold in the cake flour and vanilla extract until just combined. Be careful not to overmix, as this will deflate the egg whites and result in a denser cake. Pour the batter into the prepared tube pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and springy to the touch.
Once the cake is done baking, remove it from the oven and let it cool in the pan upside down. This will prevent the cake from collapsing and losing its light and airy texture. Once completely cool, run a knife around the edges of the pan and invert the cake onto a serving platter.
Slice and serve this Light Lemon Angel Food Cake on its own or with a dollop of whipped cream and fresh berries. The tangy lemon flavor combined with the light and fluffy texture of the cake makes for a truly delightful dessert that is perfect for any occasion. Enjoy!
- Egg whites: The base of Angel Food Cake is made with beaten egg whites, which create a light and fluffy texture. Make sure your eggs are at room temperature for better results.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar is used to sweeten the cake and stabilize the egg whites.
- Cake flour: Cake flour is lighter and finer than all-purpose flour, which helps in achieving a delicate and tender crumb.
- Lemon zest: Freshly grated lemon zest adds a bright and refreshing citrus flavor to the cake. Make sure to use organic lemons for the best flavor.
- Lemon juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice adds tanginess to the cake and enhances the lemon flavor.
- Cream of tartar: Cream of tartar is used to stabilize the beaten egg whites, helping them to hold their shape and create a fluffy texture.
- Salt: A pinch of salt enhances the flavors and balances the sweetness of the cake.
- Vanilla extract: Vanilla extract adds a subtle and aromatic flavor to the cake.
These ingredients come together to create a light, airy, and lemony Angel Food Cake that is perfect for any occasion. It is important to follow the recipe instructions carefully to achieve the desired texture and flavor.
To make the light lemon angel food cake, follow these simple steps:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Set aside a 10-inch tube pan with a removable bottom.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the cake flour and 1/2 cup of the sugar. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until they become frothy.
- Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- Sprinkle in the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar, one tablespoon at a time, while continuing to beat. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually fold in the lemon juice and zest into the egg white mixture, being careful not to deflate the mixture.
- Gently fold the sifted flour and sugar mixture into the egg white mixture, about a 1/4 cup at a time.
- Transfer the batter into the tube pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Remove the cake from the oven and immediately invert the pan onto a cooling rack. Let the cake cool completely upside-down in the pan.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, run a knife along the edges of the pan to loosen the cake. Remove the cake from the pan and transfer it to a serving plate.
- Serve the light lemon angel food cake as is, or with a dusting of powdered sugar or a drizzle of lemon glaze.
Enjoy this delightful and airy dessert! The angel food cake’s light and fluffy texture combined with the refreshing lemon flavor make it the perfect treat for any occasion.
Tips for Making the Perfect Light Lemon Angel Food Cake
1. Use fresh lemon juice and zest
To achieve a vibrant lemon flavor in your angel food cake, it is important to use fresh lemon juice and zest. Fresh lemon juice will provide a bright and tangy taste, while the zest will add a fragrant aroma. Avoid using bottled lemon juice as it may contain added preservatives and have a less intense flavor.
2. Sift the dry ingredients
Sifting the dry ingredients, including the cake flour and sugar, helps to remove any lumps and ensures a light and fluffy texture in the cake. This step is especially important in angel food cake, as the delicate structure relies on the incorporation of air for its signature airy texture.
3. Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks
When beating the egg whites, it is crucial to achieve stiff peaks. This means that when you lift the beaters, the peaks formed should hold their shape and not flop over. Beating the egg whites to the correct consistency will result in a light and airy cake that rises properly.
4. Gently fold in the dry ingredients
After the egg whites have been beaten to stiff peaks, it’s important to gently fold in the dry ingredients. This technique helps to preserve the airiness of the batter. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold the dry ingredients into the beaten egg whites, being careful not to overmix.
5. Use an angel food cake pan
An angel food cake pan is specifically designed to help the cake rise evenly and maintain its shape. The pan has tall sides and a tube in the middle, allowing for maximum air circulation during baking. Avoid using a regular cake pan, as it may cause the cake to collapse or bake unevenly.
By following these tips, you can create a perfect light lemon angel food cake that is both delicious and visually appealing. Enjoy this delightful dessert with a dusting of powdered sugar or a dollop of whipped cream.