If you’re looking for a fresh and flavorful salad that combines sweet and savory flavors, then this Creamy Apple Salad with Celery and Fennel is a perfect choice. This salad is packed with crisp apple slices, crunchy celery, and aromatic fennel, all tossed in a creamy dressing that adds a tangy and rich taste to the dish.
One of the stars of this salad is the apple, which brings a delightful sweetness and crunch to each bite. The combination of celery and fennel adds a refreshing and crisp texture, while also providing a subtle savory note. The creamy dressing, made with a blend of yogurt, mayonnaise, and lemon juice, brings a tangy and slightly tart flavor that perfectly complements the freshness of the ingredients.
To make this salad, start by slicing the apples into thin matchstick-like pieces. Next, thinly slice the celery and fennel, and toss them all together in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the yogurt, mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and whisk until smooth and creamy. Pour the dressing over the apple mixture, and gently toss until all the ingredients are well-coated. Serve the salad chilled, and garnish with some fresh herbs or a sprinkle of toasted nuts for an extra touch of flavor and texture.
- Apples: You will need two medium-sized apples for this recipe. Choose crisp, sweet varieties like Honeycrisp or Gala.
- Celery: One stalk of celery is enough to add a crunchy texture and mild flavor to the salad.
- Fennel: One small bulb of fennel can be sliced and added to the salad to provide a refreshing, slightly licorice-like taste.
- Mayonnaise: A half cup of mayonnaise will be used as the base for the creamy dressing.
- Lemon juice: To add a tangy flavor and prevent the apples from browning, you will need two tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Honey: One tablespoon of honey will balance out the flavors and add a touch of sweetness to the salad dressing.
- Dijon mustard: A teaspoon of Dijon mustard will give the dressing a slight kick and enhance the overall flavor.
- Salt and pepper: You will need to season the salad with salt and pepper to taste.
- Chopped walnuts: If desired, you can add a crunchy element to the salad by sprinkling some chopped walnuts on top.
Before you begin, make sure you have all the necessary ingredients. For this recipe, you will need:
- 2 apples
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 fennel bulb
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the Salad
Now that you have gathered all the ingredients, you can begin preparing the salad:
- Start by washing the apples, celery, and fennel.
- Using a sharp knife or a mandoline slicer, thinly slice the apples, celery, and fennel.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Add the sliced apples, celery, and fennel to a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the creamy dressing over the apple, celery, and fennel mixture.
- Gently toss the ingredients together until they are well coated with the dressing.
Serve and Enjoy
Once the salad is ready, it is time to serve and enjoy:
- Transfer the creamy apple salad to a serving platter or individual plates.
- Garnish with fresh fennel fronds, if desired.
- Serve the salad as a side dish or as a light lunch.
- Enjoy the creamy, refreshing flavors of the apple, celery, and fennel salad!
Serving and Storage Recommendations
For presentation, you can garnish the salad with some chopped parsley or fennel fronds. This will add a pop of color and freshness to the dish. Additionally, you can serve it on a bed of lettuce or alongside some crusty bread for a complete meal.
When it comes to storing the Creamy Apple Salad, it is recommended to keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This will help to maintain its freshness and prevent it from absorbing any unwanted odors from other foods. The salad can be stored for up to 2-3 days, but it is best enjoyed within the first day or two.
To prevent the apples from browning, you can squeeze some lemon juice over them before adding them to the salad. This will help to preserve their color and freshness. However, if the apples do start to brown, they are still safe to eat, just not as visually appealing.
Remember, the Creamy Apple Salad with Celery and Fennel is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed as a side dish, a light lunch, or even as a topping for sandwiches. So, don’t be afraid to get creative with how you serve it!