If you’re a fan of sweet and tangy desserts, then this easy blueberry crumble recipe is perfect for you. This delicious dessert combines juicy blueberries with a buttery and crispy crumble topping.
To make this blueberry crumble, you’ll need just a few simple ingredients: fresh or frozen blueberries, sugar, flour, oats, butter, and a pinch of salt. The blueberries are gently cooked with sugar until they become soft and jammy, and then they’re topped with a mixture of flour, oats, sugar, and butter. The crumble is then baked in the oven until golden and bubbly.
This blueberry crumble is a great dessert to make for any occasion, whether it’s a family gathering or a dinner party. It’s easy to prepare and can be made ahead of time, making it perfect for entertaining. Serve it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for a truly indulgent treat.
- Blueberries: Fresh or frozen blueberries are the star ingredient of this crumble.
- Lemon Juice: A touch of lemon juice adds brightness and enhances the flavor of the blueberries.
- Granulated Sugar: The sugar adds sweetness to the blueberry filling.
- All-Purpose Flour: Flour is used to thicken the blueberry filling.
- Butter: Butter is used in both the blueberry filling and the crumble topping.
- Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats: Rolled oats are used to create a delicious and crispy crumble topping.
- Brown Sugar: Brown sugar adds a rich and caramel-like flavor to the crumble topping.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon complements the blueberries and adds warmth to the crumble.
- Salt: A pinch of salt helps to balance the sweetness and enhance the flavors.
In addition to these main ingredients, you may also need other pantry staples such as vanilla extract, baking powder, and baking soda, depending on the specific recipe you are following. It’s always a good idea to read through the recipe beforehand to ensure you have all the necessary ingredients on hand.
- 2 cups of fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, granulated sugar, and lemon juice. Toss until the blueberries are coated.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, rolled oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
- Add the cold butter pieces to the flour mixture. Use your fingers to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Place the blueberry mixture into a baking dish and spread it evenly.
- Sprinkle the crumble topping over the blueberries, covering them completely.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until the blueberries are bubbling and the topping is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before serving.
This blueberry crumble is best enjoyed warm and can be served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream. It is a perfect dessert for any occasion, and the leftover crumble can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Tips for Success
- Choose fresh blueberries: The quality of the blueberries used in the crumble can greatly impact the taste. Opt for fresh, plump blueberries that are in season for the best flavor.
- Prevent a soggy bottom: To avoid a soggy crumble bottom, be sure to use a baking dish with deep sides and allow the blueberries to release some of their juices before sprinkling on the crumble topping. You can achieve this by letting the blueberries sit with some sugar for a while and then draining off the excess liquid.
- Create a flavorful crumble topping: The crumble topping plays a crucial role in adding texture and flavor to the dessert. Use a combination of flour, oats, sugar, and cold butter to create a crumbly texture that adds a delicious contrast to the soft blueberries. Adding a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg can enhance the flavor even further.
Keep these tips in mind when making your blueberry crumble, and you’ll be on your way to a delectable dessert that will impress your family and friends.