Chinese Almond Chicken is a classic Chinese dish that combines tender chicken pieces with a rich and savory almond gravy. The dish is famous for its perfect balance of flavors and textures, making it a favorite among both locals and foreigners alike. The key ingredient in Chinese Almond Chicken is, of course, the almonds. They are toasted to perfection and ground into a fine powder, which adds a delicious nutty flavor to the dish.
To make Chinese Almond Chicken, you will need boneless chicken breasts, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, cornstarch, chicken broth, almonds, and a few other pantry staples. The chicken is first marinated in a mixture of soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sesame oil to infuse it with flavor and keep it moist. It is then coated in cornstarch and quickly stir-fried until golden brown. The almonds are toasted in a dry pan until fragrant and then ground into a fine powder. The gravy is made by combining chicken broth, almond powder, and cornstarch, and simmering until thick and creamy. The chicken is then added back into the gravy and heated through before serving.
The Chinese Almond Chicken recipe calls for a variety of ingredients that provide a delicious and flavorful dish. Here are the main ingredients you will need:
- Chicken breast: Tender and juicy chicken breast is the key ingredient in this recipe. It is important to use boneless, skinless chicken breasts for a leaner and healthier option.
- Almonds: The dish gets its name from the toasted almonds that add a crunchy texture and nutty flavor. Toasting the almonds before adding them to the dish enhances their taste.
- Green onions: Green onions, also known as scallions, provide a fresh and mild onion flavor. They are commonly used in Chinese cuisine to add a hint of onion flavor without overpowering the dish.
- Soy sauce: Soy sauce adds a rich, savory umami taste to the dish. It helps to enhance the flavor of the chicken and balances the other ingredients.
- Ginger and garlic: These aromatic ingredients are staples in Chinese cooking. They add a wonderful fragrance to the dish and complement the other flavors.
- Cornstarch: Cornstarch is used as a thickening agent in the sauce. It helps to create a glossy and velvety texture, coating the chicken and almonds with a flavorful sauce.
- Sesame oil: Sesame oil is used for cooking the chicken and adds a distinct nutty flavor. It is commonly used in Chinese cuisine and is a key ingredient in this recipe.
- Chicken broth: Chicken broth is used to make the sauce for the dish. It adds depth and richness to the flavor profile.
These ingredients come together to create a tasty and satisfying Chinese Almond Chicken dish that can be served with steamed rice or noodles for a complete meal.
Preparation Steps for Chinese Almond Chicken Recipe
Here are the step-by-step instructions to prepare Chinese Almond Chicken:
- First, gather all the ingredients needed for the recipe: boneless, skinless chicken breast, chicken broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, vegetable oil, garlic, ginger, almonds, green onions, and salt.
- Start by marinating the chicken. Cut the chicken breast into bite-sized pieces and place them in a bowl. Add soy sauce, cornstarch, and a pinch of salt to the chicken. Mix well, ensuring that each piece is coated in the marinade. Let it sit for about 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors to infuse.
- In the meantime, prepare the sauce. In a separate bowl, combine chicken broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, and a pinch of salt. Stir well until the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Heat vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add minced garlic and ginger, and sauté for a minute or until fragrant.
- Add the marinated chicken to the wok and stir-fry until it is cooked through and browned on all sides. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Pour the sauce mixture into the wok, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens and coats the chicken evenly. This should take around 2-3 minutes.
- Finally, add the almonds to the wok and stir-fry for an additional minute to toast them slightly.
- Garnish the Chinese Almond Chicken with chopped green onions and serve hot with steamed rice or noodles.
Tips from Professional Chefs for Cooking Chinese Almond Chicken
Chinese Almond Chicken is a delicious and flavorful dish that can be easily prepared at home. To make the most out of your cooking experience, here are some tips from professional chefs:
- Use high-quality chicken: When making Chinese Almond Chicken, it is important to use fresh and high-quality chicken. Choose boneless and skinless chicken breasts or thighs for a tender and juicy result.
- Marinate the chicken: To enhance the flavor of the chicken, marinating it before cooking is recommended. Prepare a marinade using soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and a touch of sesame oil. Marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to penetrate the meat.
- Choose the right almonds: Almonds are a key ingredient in this dish. It is best to use blanched almonds that have been lightly toasted. This will add a nice crunch and nutty flavor to the chicken.
Following these tips will help you create a delicious and authentic Chinese Almond Chicken dish. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different seasonings and flavors to tailor it to your taste.
I recently tried the Chinese Almond Chicken recipe and I have to say, it exceeded my expectations. The flavors were perfectly balanced, with a hint of sweetness from the sauce and a slight crunch from the almonds. The chicken was tender and juicy, and the sauce really brought out its natural flavors.
What I loved most about this recipe was how easy it was to prepare. The ingredients were readily available at my local grocery store, and the instructions were clear and easy to follow. I was able to whip up the dish in no time, making it a perfect option for a quick and delicious weeknight meal.
The Chinese Almond Chicken was not only delicious, but also had a visually appealing presentation. The vibrant colors of the vegetables paired with the golden-brown chicken made it a feast for the eyes. It looked so impressive that I would proudly serve it to guests at a dinner party.
All in all, the Chinese Almond Chicken recipe is a winner in my book. It’s tasty, easy to make, and visually pleasing. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or just starting out in the kitchen, I highly recommend giving this recipe a try. You won’t be disappointed!
I recently tried the recipe for Chinese Almond Chicken and I must say, it exceeded my expectations. The combination of tender chicken, savory sauce, and crunchy almonds created a delightful experience for my taste buds.
The recipe was easy to follow and the ingredients were readily available in my local grocery store. I appreciated that the recipe provided options for both stir-frying and baking the chicken, giving me the flexibility to choose the cooking method that suited my preferences. I opted to stir-fry the chicken, which resulted in a beautifully caramelized exterior and moist interior.
The sauce was the star of the dish, with its perfect balance of flavors. It had a subtly sweet and tangy taste, with a hint of nuttiness from the almond extract. The addition of garlic and ginger added a wonderful depth of flavor, complementing the chicken perfectly. The almonds added a satisfying crunch to each bite, elevating the overall texture of the dish.
I served the Chinese Almond Chicken with steamed jasmine rice and a side of steamed vegetables. The combination was a complete meal that left me feeling satisfied and fulfilled. I highly recommend trying this recipe if you’re looking to expand your culinary repertoire with a simple yet flavorful Chinese dish. I will definitely be making this again in the future!
As a lover of Chinese cuisine, I recently tried the recipe for Chinese Almond Chicken and it was a delightful experience. The combination of tender chicken pieces, crunchy almonds, and flavorful sauce made this dish a winner in my book.
The chicken was cooked to perfection, with a moist and juicy texture. I loved how the almonds added a nice crunch and nutty flavor to every bite. The sauce, made with soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and a hint of sweetness, complemented the chicken and almonds beautifully. It had a rich and savory taste that kept me coming back for more.
What I also appreciated about this recipe is that it was easy to make. The ingredients were readily available, and the cooking process was straightforward. The result was a restaurant-quality dish that I could enjoy in the comfort of my own home.
Overall, I highly recommend trying the Chinese Almond Chicken recipe. It’s a delicious and satisfying dish that brings the flavors of Chinese cuisine to your table. Whether you’re a fan of almonds or simply looking to try a new recipe, this dish is definitely worth a try!