Funeral potatoes, also known as hash brown casserole, are a classic comfort food dish that is often served at funeral luncheons or other large gatherings. This creamy and cheesy dish is made with frozen hash browns, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, cheese, and other delicious ingredients.
Funeral potatoes are typically baked until they are golden and bubbly, creating a crispy and flavorful crust on top. The dish can be served as a main course or as a side dish, and it pairs well with a variety of other dishes.
Funeral Potatoes, also known as Hash Brown Casserole, are a comforting and delicious dish that combines the flavors of cheesy potatoes and a crunchy topping. Here are the main ingredients you will need to make this dish:
- Hash Browns: The base of this casserole is made from frozen shredded potatoes, also known as hash browns. They provide a hearty texture and absorb the flavors of the other ingredients.
- Condensed Soup: Cream of chicken soup is a key ingredient in this dish. It adds a creamy and savory flavor to the casserole. You can also use other varieties of condensed soup, such as cream of mushroom or cream of celery, based on your preference.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream adds tanginess and creaminess to the dish. It helps to balance out the richness of the cheese and condensed soup.
- Cheese: Cheddar cheese is used to add a melty and gooey texture to the casserole. You can use either pre-shredded cheese or grate your own for a fresher taste. Some recipes also include additional cheese on top for a crispy and golden finish.
- Cornflakes: A unique feature of Funeral Potatoes is the crunchy topping made from crushed cornflakes. It adds a satisfying texture and complements the creamy potato filling.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Funeral Potatoes (Hash Brown Casserole)
Preparing Funeral Potatoes, also known as Hash Brown Casserole, is a simple and delicious dish that can be made for various occasions. Here are the step-by-step instructions for making this comforting and hearty casserole:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cans of condensed cream of chicken soup, 16 ounces of sour cream, ½ cup melted butter, ½ cup chopped onion, and 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese. Mix until well combined.
- Add 1 package (30 ounces) of frozen shredded hash browns to the mixture and stir until the hash browns are evenly coated with the creamy mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Feel free to add other seasonings like garlic powder or paprika for extra flavor.
- Transfer the mixture to the greased baking dish and spread it out evenly.
- In a separate bowl, crush 2 cups of cornflakes and mix them with ½ cup melted butter. Sprinkle this mixture over the top of the casserole.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45-55 minutes, or until the casserole is hot and bubbly, and the top is golden brown.
- Let the Funeral Potatoes cool for a few minutes before serving.
These Funeral Potatoes are sure to be a hit at any gathering or as a comforting side dish for a family meal. Enjoy!
Expert Tips for Making Funeral Potatoes (Hash Brown Casserole)
When it comes to making the perfect Funeral Potatoes (Hash Brown Casserole), professional chefs have a few expert tips to share. These tips will help ensure that your casserole turns out deliciously creamy and flavorful:
- Choose the right potatoes: Opt for russet potatoes as they have a higher starch content, which helps create a creamy texture. Peel and grate the potatoes using a box grater or a food processor.
- Don’t skip the cream of chicken soup: The cream of chicken soup is a key ingredient in Funeral Potatoes. It adds a rich flavor and creaminess to the dish. Avoid using any low-fat or reduced-sodium versions, as they may affect the taste and texture.
- Season well: Don’t be shy with the seasonings. Funeral Potatoes taste best when seasoned properly. A combination of salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder works well. Taste the mixture before baking and adjust the seasonings according to your preference.
- Add extra cheese: While the recipe usually includes shredded cheddar cheese, you can add an extra layer of flavor by mixing in some grated Parmesan or Monterey Jack cheese. This will give your Funeral Potatoes a delicious cheesy kick.
- Don’t overbake: Be mindful of the baking time. Overbaking can result in dry potatoes. Bake the casserole until it is golden brown on top and bubbly around the edges. It should be heated through and the cheese should be completely melted.
By following these expert tips, you’ll be able to make Funeral Potatoes (Hash Brown Casserole) that are a hit at any gathering or potluck.
The Funeral Potatoes (Hash Brown Casserole) is a delicious dish that I recently had the pleasure of cooking and tasting. As a fan of hearty and comforting meals, I was excited to try this recipe. The combination of creamy cheese, crispy potatoes, and flavorful spices creates a dish that is both satisfying and indulgent.
Preparing the Funeral Potatoes was a breeze. The recipe was straightforward, and the ingredients were easy to find. I appreciated how the dish could be easily customized to suit my preferences. I added some diced onions and garlic for extra flavor, and it turned out to be a fantastic addition. It only took a short time to bake in the oven, and the end result was a golden and bubbly casserole that was simply irresistible.
When I finally sat down to taste the Funeral Potatoes, I was blown away by how delicious they were. The potatoes were perfectly tender, and the cheesy topping added a rich and creamy element. Every bite was a delightful combination of textures and flavors. The dish was incredibly filling, making it a great choice for a satisfying dinner or a potluck gathering. I can confidently say that the Funeral Potatoes will become a go-to recipe in my kitchen.
I recently tried the Funeral Potatoes (Hash Brown Casserole) recipe and I have to say, it was absolutely delicious! As someone who loves comfort food, this dish provided the perfect combination of creamy and cheesy goodness. The hash browns were perfectly cooked and added a nice texture to the dish.
What I loved most about the recipe was how easy it was to make. With just a few simple ingredients, I was able to create a flavorful and satisfying meal. The recipe called for sour cream, which added a tanginess that balanced out the richness of the cheese. The addition of diced onions and garlic gave the dish a nice depth of flavor.
I served the Funeral Potatoes as a side dish for a family gathering, and it was a hit! Everyone loved how creamy and cheesy it was, and it paired perfectly with the main course. The leftovers were just as delicious the next day, making it a great option for meal prepping.
Overall, I highly recommend trying the Funeral Potatoes (Hash Brown Casserole) recipe. It’s a crowd-pleaser and perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a comforting side dish or a satisfying main course, this dish is sure to impress!
I recently tried the Funeral Potatoes (Hash Brown Casserole) recipe and I have to say, it was a hit! As a person who loves comfort food, this dish definitely delivered.
The combination of creamy, cheesy hash browns with the crispy topping was absolutely delicious. The recipe was easy to follow and the ingredients were all readily available. I especially loved how the sour cream and cream of chicken soup added a tangy and savory flavor to the dish. The addition of cornflakes on top added a nice crunch and texture.
Not only was the Funeral Potatoes (Hash Brown Casserole) recipe tasty, but it was also a crowd-pleaser. I made it for a family gathering and everyone loved it. There were hardly any leftovers! I would definitely recommend this dish for potlucks or any occasion where you need to feed a crowd. Overall, this recipe exceeded my expectations and I will definitely be making it again.
I recently tried the Funeral Potatoes (Hash Brown Casserole) recipe and it was absolutely delicious! Being a fan of comfort food, I was excited to try this classic dish and it did not disappoint. The combination of creamy potatoes, gooey cheese, and crunchy corn flakes on top created a perfect balance of flavors and textures.
What I loved most about this recipe was how easy it was to make. The instructions were clear and concise, and the ingredients were all readily available. I appreciated that it didn’t require any fancy or hard-to-find ingredients, making it a great option for a last-minute meal or potluck dish.
The casserole came out of the oven golden brown and bubbling, with a mouthwatering aroma filling the kitchen. I couldn’t wait to dig in! The potatoes were soft and tender, and the cheese sauce was rich and flavorful. The addition of sour cream and onion soup mix added a depth of flavor that took this dish to the next level.
I would highly recommend trying the Funeral Potatoes (Hash Brown Casserole) recipe for anyone looking for a comforting and satisfying dish. It’s a crowd-pleaser that will leave you wanting more. Whether you’re serving it as a side dish or a main course, it’s sure to be a hit at any gathering.
I recently tried the recipe for Funeral Potatoes (Hash Brown Casserole) and let me tell you, it was absolutely delicious. As someone who enjoys comfort food, this dish definitely hit the spot. The combination of creamy cheese, crispy hash browns, and a hint of tang from the sour cream created a mouthwatering flavor that I couldn’t resist.
The recipe was easy to follow and didn’t require a lot of ingredients, which made it convenient for me. I appreciated that I could easily find all the necessary items at my local grocery store. The prep time was minimal, and the dish came out looking as appetizing as it tasted.
When I took my first bite, I was immediately met with a comforting warmth and a burst of cheesy goodness. The hash browns were perfectly cooked, providing a nice crunchy texture, while the creamy cheese sauce added a smooth and velvety element. The overall balance of flavors was spot on, making it a perfect side dish for any meal.
I highly recommend trying the Funeral Potatoes (Hash Brown Casserole) if you’re in the mood for a comforting and satisfying dish. Whether you’re cooking for a family gathering or just want to indulge yourself, this recipe is sure to be a hit. It’s hearty, flavorful, and a true crowd-pleaser. Give it a try and you won’t be disappointed!
I recently tried the Funeral Potatoes (Hash Brown Casserole) recipe and I have to say, it was absolutely delicious. The dish was rich, creamy, and loaded with flavors that made it the perfect comfort food. The combination of cheesy hash browns, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, and cornflakes on top created a delightful texture and crunch. Every bite was bursting with savory goodness.
The recipe was easy to follow, and the ingredients were readily available in my pantry. The preparation was simple and straightforward, without any complex techniques or too much time spent in the kitchen. I appreciated the convenience of using frozen hash browns, as it saved me a lot of time and effort.
The Funeral Potatoes (Hash Brown Casserole) turned out to be a hit with my family. The dish was hearty and satisfying, making it a great option for potlucks, family gatherings, or even as a weeknight dinner. The leftovers were just as delicious the next day, and the flavors seemed to meld together even more.
All in all, I highly recommend trying the Funeral Potatoes (Hash Brown Casserole) recipe. It’s a crowd-pleasing dish that is easy to prepare and guaranteed to satisfy your taste buds. Whether you’re looking for a comforting meal or a tasty side dish, this recipe is a winner.