The Golden apple appeared in the stores at the beginning of the 20th century. Fruit of a fortuitous cross has earned world recognition. In 1995 he was even granted the honorary status of the Western Virginia symbol, the US region where the variety was introduced.
In Russia, fruit can be found under the names of Golden Excellent or Yablko-Pears. Golden Delicious occupies a stable leadership position among the world’s apple varieties, and is widely distributed in Europe and the United States.
DESCRIPTION OF THE VARIETY
A distinctive trait of apples is the characteristic greenish yellow coloration of the cortex. It can mature, varying its bright green color to yellowish. Mature fruit can acquire an intense golden color. The cortex is usually dotted with small black points.
The shape is rounded and slightly elongated, which gives it a conical appearance. The size of an individual fruit is small to medium. Depending on the type of seed and cultivation conditions, the weight of the fruit can reach 220 g.
Important: When harvesting, it is necessary to collect the apples itself, since the fruit that has fallen to the ground can lose its form, wrinkling.
It is said that Golden Delicious apples have a clearly sweet taste in the pulp. Hence its use in Macedonias, Purés, Cakes and Jams. The ripe fruit presents a creamy color and a characteristic taste.
The fruit has a medium flesh and a high quality pulp. If the pulp is too soft, its expiration date is passed, while the hardness indicates that the apple is too immature.
Golden apples are collected in autumn until the beginning of December. Thanks to its frost resistance, this variety can be grown in the central strip of Russia. Frutals are also able to tolerate drought and high air temperatures.
The advantage of Golden Delicious cultivation is its high fruit maturation index. The variety begins to produce in the second year of development, but the number of fruits in the tree decreases over the years. To maintain its fertility, the plant pollinates. When they are young and well cared for, apple trees can produce up to 120 kg of fruit in a single season.
Apples are able to keep their physical and chemical properties for a long time. This allows to export the variety and transport the fruit to long distances without loss of quality.
Chemical composition and calories of Golden apples
Most of the fruit consists of water. This substance makes up about half of the content of the apple. The remaining 50% is full of beneficial chemicals, vitamins, malic acid, and antioxidants.
The pulp and skin of the fruit contain the following components
- vitamins A, B, C, PP.
Depending on the quality of the fruit and its ripening conditions, the caloric value of an apple can vary from 43 to 57 kcal per 100 grams of product. Most of the Golden Delicious consists of carbohydrates, with a high content of up to 10. 7 g.
The fruit contains up to 0. 5 g of protein, and from 0. 2 to 0. 5 g of fat.
Properties of Golden apples
Rich in vitamins, the composition of the fruit has a positive effect on the functioning of the organism, the human condition. Its resistance to low temperatures and its ability to withstand transport conditions without suffering damage allow it to be found on the counter both in summer and in winter.
The variety has a number of qualities that are explained by the presence of carotene, vitamins and many chemical elements in the composition of the fruit. But certain properties of apples, if consumed without moderation, can be harmful to the body.
The high carotene content of Golden Delicious influences the quality of sight. Together with calcium, it has a positive effect on the condition of nails and bones, strengthening them. Vitamin C is known for its cold-fighting properties.
Apples influence the immune system, improve the general state of human health, help to charge with vivacity and raise the mood.
The seeds inside the fruit contain a large supply of iodine. This substance is beneficial for the health of the thyroid gland, so it is recommended to eat crushed apple seeds when there are problems with this organ. However, only a small amount of seeds should be eaten, a maximum of five a day.
A data. Apples help to break down excess cholesterol, clean blood vessels, thereby increasing their lumen.
As a result, the quality of hematopoiesis and the cardiovascular system improves. Reduces the risk of atherosclerosis, hyper and hypotension, coronary diseases.
The pulp of the Golden Delicious contains a large amount of antioxidants that eliminate toxic substances from the body’s cells. This component is useful for maintaining normal skin, keeping it young and firm.
Malic acid properties lie in oral health prevention. The action of this substance causes an afflux of blood to the jaws, the stimulation of the gums and the elimination of the yellowish dye.
The apple pulp consists of insoluble fibers of wel l-known laxative effect. The consumption of the variety for constipation contributes to the normalization of the feces, improving the intestinal function.
Due to the large amount of water in the composition of the fruit, it causes frequent urination, which helps the body to get rid of harmful toxins. The elimination of excess fluids reduces the number of swelling and normalizes skin condition.
Golden apples contain iron, which is useful for the proper functioning of the circulatory system. This substance influences the level of hemoglobin and the oxygenation of the organs. Iron consumption is necessary for the prevention and treatment of blood diseases (anemia, leukemia).
The fruit can also have an effect on the nervous system, avoiding overwriting and stress.
Damages and contraindications
It is important to use apples in moderation. Eating in excess causes the manifestation of side effects, discomfort in the stomach area. The laxative effect of fruit can affect feces, causing diarrhea.
The Golden Delicious is also individually intolerant. If you have fruit intolerance, stop eating it. Intolerances are distinguished by specific body reactions: stool problems, symptoms of shipping or allergy, anaphylactic shock.
Restrictions on apple consumption apply to people with gastrointestinal diseases. With different types of ulcers, gastritis, eating colitis with caution.
Apple seeds contain a series of useful elements, but eating more than five pieces a day is dangerous.
WARNINGS. The components of apple seeds include tonsil glycoside. Under the influence of compound gastric juice, it decomposes into individual substances, one of which is cyanide.
There is a high risk of severe poisoning if apple seeds are consumed frequently.
How to eat them
Golden Delicious apples must peel and wash themselves before eating them. If you wish, fight the apples after peeling them and eat only the pulp. Apples can be cut into slices or scratch.
The Golden Delicious is popular for its sweet taste. From the fruit juices and compotes are extracted. The product is consumed in jams and jams. Apples are used in Macedonias and Purés.
To make the jam, follow the following recipe:
- Peel the apples (one kilo). Cut them into wedges. Remove the seeds.
- Put the pieces of fruit in a saucepan or basin and cover them with a kilo of granulated sugar.
- Put the saucepan on the stove, light the fire and pour a glass of water.
- Wait for it to boil and let the mixture simmer for five minutes.
- Turn off the pot and let it simmer for twelve hours.
- Finish boiling the apples until the candy is fully cooked.
It can be baked with or without filling. You can add curd, dried fruits, nuts and honey.
Apples with curd filling can be baked in four steps:
- Cut the heart, place the Golden Delicious in a greased mold.
- For the filling, use cottage cheese (about 30 g per apple), sugar, sultanas and a raw egg. Mix the ingredients.
- Fill the holes in the apples with the cottage cheese mixture.
- Bake at 220°C for 15-25 minutes.
The fruit is suitable for dessert dishes. The sweet pulp goes well with puff pastry, pies and casseroles. Golden apples are used to make muffins, smoothies, and confit.
To prepare the cottage cheese casserole, follow the recipe:
- In a bowl, mix the cottage cheese (half a kilo), the sugar (two tablespoons), the whites (two). Add the vanillin (one teaspoon).
- In a separate bowl, make a mixture of semolina and sour cream (three tablespoons of each component). Let the dough infuse for about ten minutes.
- Prepare a bowl. Place the prunes in the bottom (chop them previously).
- Divide the apple into two equal parts. Cut the first half into thin slices and arrange as a second layer.
- Add the semolina and sour cream mixture to the cottage cheese mixture, divide into two halves. Place one half in a third layer.
- Add the rest of the apple and the rest of the cottage cheese and grits mixture.
- Put the casserole back in the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for about an hour.
- If desired, the casserole can be covered with honey.
Golden apples are also used to make a healthy galette. Sweetness is characterized by the low calorie content of the ingredients.
The galette recipe is as follows:
- Make the dough. Sift rye flour (half a cup) and wheat flour (one cup) into a bowl. Add baking powder (1/2 teaspoon), salt, granulated sugar (1 tablespoon), and vanilla sugar.
- Pour a piece of cold butter (50 g) into the mixture and knead all the ingredients until crumbs form.
- Pour in the milk (5 tablespoons) while continuing to knead. Form a ball with the dough.
- Put the dough in the fridge for an hour.
- Add the granulated sugar, vain sugar and raw egg yolk at 150 g of ricotta. Remove to mix.
- Cut apples into 2 pieces. Existenta the juice of the lime and will see it on the fruit. Sprinkle above the starch, sugar and cinnamon.
- Extend the dough until a fine dough is obtained. Spread the surface with Ricotta. The circle must have a diameter lower than the mass.
- Place apples on the ricotta. Roll the edges of the cake, brush with egg white and sprinkle slightly with granulated sugar.
- Bake at 190 ° C.
- Let cool between 30 and 40 minutes. Sprinkle with icing sugar if desired.
Convert apples into nuts, which are then used to make compotes. The fruit can also be kept.
How to choose and conserve Golden apples
In Russia, most of the fruit comes from Europe. The apples collection period goes from September to November. For the fruit to be at the counter in summer, immature is collected. These apples are distinguished by their intense green color and hardness.
Important: Golden delicacies have a yellowish or gold color. It is a fruity fruit with a moderately firm pulp.
These apples can be found in the market at the end of autumn and early winter.
In summer, shops buy immature fruit, which matures itself at room temperature. To get apples ready for consumption, leave immature products in a bag in the kitchen for a few days.
Save the ripe fruit in the refrigerator or in a fresh room (pantry). In comfortable conditions, fruit can keep its shape and quality up to two months.
Golden apples are distributed throughout the world and are known for their sweet pulp and rapid maturation time. The elements of the fruit improve the view, the nails, strengthen the bones and favor the circulatory system. The sweetness of the fruit is used in the kitchen for desserts, juices, jams and nuts.