Chinese Rojak is a popular traditional salad dish in Chinese cuisine. It is a combination of various fruits, vegetables, and fried dough fritters, all mixed together with a tangy sauce. This dish is known for its unique blend of sweet, sour, and spicy flavors, making it a refreshing and appetizing choice.
- Fruits: Pineapple, cucumber, guava, and green apple.
- Vegetables: Bean sprouts and tofu.
- Fried Dough Fritters.
- Rojak Sauce: Made with tamarind pulp, shrimp paste, sugar, chili, and lime juice.
- Crushed Peanuts.
- Prepare the fruits and vegetables by cutting them into bite-sized pieces.
- Fry the tofu and dough fritters until crispy on the outside.
- In a bowl, mix together the tamarind pulp, shrimp paste, sugar, chili, and lime juice to make the rojak sauce.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the fruits, vegetables, tofu, dough fritters, and crushed peanuts.
- Pour the rojak sauce over the mixture and toss everything together until well coated.
- Serve the Chinese Rojak immediately and enjoy!
Chinese Rojak is a delightful dish that can be enjoyed as a main course or as a side dish. Its vibrant colors, refreshing taste, and unique combination of ingredients make it a favorite among many. Give this recipe a try and indulge in the flavors of the Chinese cuisine!
Easy Steps to Make Chinese Rojak
To make Chinese Rojak, start by gathering the necessary ingredients. You will need a variety of fruits and vegetables such as cucumber, pineapple, jicama, and bean sprouts. Additionally, prepare some fried tofu, fried dough fritters, and roasted peanuts to add texture to the dish. For the sauce, you’ll need tamarind paste, shrimp paste, sugar, chili paste, and lime juice.
- Prepare the fruits and vegetables by washing and cutting them into bite-sized pieces. Arrange them neatly on a plate or platter.
- In a small bowl, mix together tamarind paste, shrimp paste, sugar, chili paste, and lime juice to make the sauce. Adjust the ingredients according to your taste preferences.
- Pour the sauce over the fruits and vegetables, ensuring that they are evenly coated. Use a spoon or your hands to mix everything together, making sure all the ingredients are well combined.
- Sprinkle the roasted peanuts on top of the salad for added crunch and flavor. You can also garnish with some chopped cilantro or mint leaves.
Chinese Rojak is best enjoyed fresh, so serve it immediately after preparing. It makes a delicious and refreshing snack or appetizer, perfect for hot summer days. Remember to adjust the ingredients and seasonings according to your personal preferences to create the perfect balance of flavors.
Step 1: Gather the Ingredients
- 1 large cucumber, julienned
- 1 medium-sized jicama, julienned
- 1 firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 1 small bunch of bean sprouts
- 1 small bunch of water spinach (kangkung)
- 1 small handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small handful of roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
Additionally, you will need the following for the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons of tamarind pulp
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 3 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of shrimp paste
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 small red chili, minced
You can find most of these ingredients at Asian grocery stores or online specialty stores. Make sure to gather all the ingredients before starting the cooking process.
Step 2: Prepare the Sauce
- Mix the tamarind pulp with water: Start by soaking about 2 tablespoons of tamarind pulp in 1 cup of warm water. Let it sit for about 10 minutes to soften the pulp.
- Extract the pulp: Once the tamarind pulp has softened, use your hands to squeeze and extract the pulp. Strain the mixture to remove any seeds or fibers, and set aside the tamarind juice.
- Add sugar and other ingredients: In a small saucepan, combine the tamarind juice with 3 tablespoons of sugar, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce, 1 tablespoon of shrimp paste, and a pinch of salt. Stir well to dissolve the sugar.
- Cook the sauce: Place the saucepan over low heat and simmer the sauce for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. This will allow the flavors to blend together and the sauce to thicken slightly.
Once the sauce has thickened slightly, remove it from the heat and let it cool completely before using it to dress your Chinese Rojak. The sauce can also be prepared in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to a week. Just make sure to give it a good stir before using.
Step 3: Mix the Ingredients
After you have prepared all the necessary ingredients for Chinese Rojak, it’s time to mix them together to create the delectable salad.
- Cut the fruit and vegetables: Begin by cutting the cucumber, pineapple, and jicama into bite-sized pieces. You can also add bean sprouts and tofu if desired.
- Prepare the sauce: In a separate bowl, combine the ingredients for the sauce. This typically includes fermented shrimp paste, sugar, lime juice, peanut butter, and chili paste. Adjust the quantities to your preferred taste.
- Combine: In a large mixing bowl, add the cut fruits and vegetables. Pour the sauce over the ingredients and gently toss to ensure everything is evenly coated.
You can use two spoons or your hands to mix the Chinese Rojak ingredients together. Be careful not to crush the ingredients, as you want to maintain their texture and crunchiness. Additionally, it’s important to mix the sauce well to ensure that every bite is flavorful.
Step 4: Serve and Enjoy
- Transfer the Chinese Rojak to a serving plate or bowl.
- Garnish the dish with some chopped peanuts and sesame seeds.
- Sprinkle some finely chopped spring onions on top for added freshness.
- If desired, drizzle some sweet and tangy Rojak sauce over the dish.
- Alternatively, you can serve the Rojak sauce on the side and allow each person to add it according to their taste preferences.
Once the Chinese Rojak is served, it is time to enjoy this flavorful and unique dish. Take a bite and savor the combination of different textures and flavors. The crispy fruits and vegetables, the crunchy peanuts, and the tangy Rojak sauce come together to create a delightful taste experience. The dish is perfect as a snack or as a refreshing appetizer. Serve it at parties or enjoy it on a hot summer day. Chinese Rojak is a versatile dish that is sure to please your taste buds.