St. John’s wort – a unique plant that is considered a natural antidepressant, antibiotic and pain reliever.
But this is not limited to its properties, so the decoction of St. John’s wort is used to treat diseases of various origins.
Chemical composition of St. John’s wort decoction
The chemical composition of St. John’s wort is fully studied. Biologically active substances are contained in the flowers, fruits, leaves and stems of the plant, but the root is practically absent, therefore it is not used for therapeutic purposes. The decoction is preferred, as it retains all the useful properties of St. John’s wort, as well as having a pleasant taste.
The chemical composition of the plant:
- Vitamins: C, A, E, PP.
- Flavonoids: hyperoside, rutin, quercetin and quercitrin.
- Ascorbic and nicotinic acids.
- Essential oils, isovaleric acid esters.
The mentioned substances have a positive effect on the organism, stimulate the exchange of intercellular fluids, the exchange of substances, as well as improve mental performance. St. John’s wort tea is often recommended by neurologists for children with concentration problems and fatigue.
St. John’s wort is considered the most common medicinal herb, it is used to treat various pathologies. Its popularity is due to the combination of several therapeutic properties at once.
St. John’s wort gets rid of many health problems, if used sparingly in short courses. Unwanted reactions may occur if decoctions are taken regularly for long periods.
The virtue of St. John’s wort decoction is that it contains many substances that have a positive effect on all body systems.
Useful properties of the plant:
- Calm, acts as an antidepressant.
- Relaxes the muscles, the vascular walls, the bile and urinary ducts.
- Stimulates the outflow of bile, prevents the formation of stones.
- Prevents the deposition of cholesterol in the vascular walls.
- Analgesic, relieves inflammation, slightly lowers fever.
- Inhibits the reproduction of pathogenic microflora.
- Eliminates diarrhea, has astringent properties.
- Stimulates the regeneration of damaged tissues.
- Destroys free radicals, prevents the division of cancer cells.
San Juan grass can be used to prevent Helmints infestation if there is the possibility of parasitic infestation. But in serious infestations, the use of the plant itself is ineffective, so it is recommended to take an antihelmintic and then drink the decoction for a week to kill the remaining larvae.
Damage and contraindications
Despite all its benefits, San Juan’s grass has some limitations, since the decoction taken internally can cause damage.
Contraindications and restrictions:
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding – During these periods, decoction is only allowed for external use.
- Oral contraceptive taking – The plant can reduce the effect of contraceptives and cause unwanted pregnancies. Additional caution measures should be taken if San Juan’s grass is going to be consumed.
- Taking antiviral medications for hepatitis and HIV, anticoagulants, cardiac glycosides – the plant reduces its blood concentration in half, which causes the progression of the disease.
- Organ transplants – San Juan’s grass is totally contraindicated after surgical intervention, as it causes the rejection of the transplanted organ.
- No n-treatable hypertension – The use of hyperician can cause a hypertensive crisis.
- Photosensitization – Prolonged use of hyperico will cause an increase in skin sensitivity to UV rays and can lead to various aesthetic problems.
The hyperician usually tolerates well, but with prolonged consumption there may appear side effects such as dizziness, uncoordination, confusion, humor changes, nausea and vomiting. If these symptoms appear, take an integrosorbent and suspend the decoction.
AGAINST WHICH THE DECOCTION OF HYPOICA HELP
San Juan’s grass is known as a versatile herb for a reason. It can be used in almost all fields of medicine in the absence of contraindications. The decoction of the plant helps better with inflammation and pain, but also has a positive effect on digestive, nervous and reproductive systems.
Indications of use:
- Pain and inflammation of various locations.
- Purulent-necrotic processes.
- Mild neurological disorders.
- Gastrointestinal disorders, of the gallbladder, the liver.
- Dermatological problems.
- Genitourinary apparatus infections.
- Gynecological disorders.
- Respiratory infections, colds.
Before taking the decoction of St. John’s wort, the benefits and harms, as well as possible restrictions, should be carefully considered. If in doubt, you should consult your doctor about treatment.
How to prepare a decoction
The key to the success of St. John’s wort treatment is a well-prepared decoction. To achieve the necessary concentration of useful substances, it is necessary to carefully observe the proportions. For the classic broth you need 2 tbsp. spoon of St. John’s wort pour 300 ml. of water, bring to a simmer, bring to a boil, cover, and turn off the heat. Leave to infuse for 30 minutes, after which it can be strained and drunk.
If necessary, you can prepare a strong drink. To do this, the broth is boiled for 25 minutes and then boiling water is added to bring it to its original volume. The decoction can be drunk as soon as it has cooled.
What is the correct way to drink
For each disease, the duration of intake of St. John’s wort and the individual portions vary considerably, so it is necessary to consult a specialist or follow the recommendations of the recipes.
How to drink St. John’s wort decoction to get its benefits:
- Prepare a new portion every day so that the drink does not lose its beneficial properties.
- Do not exceed the recommended dose.
- The first time drink a quarter dose to make sure you are not allergic.
- Discontinue treatment at any sign of overdose or adverse reactions.
The recommended duration of the decoction is 2 weeks, unless your doctor tells you otherwise. Be sure to take 2-4 week breaks to avoid any unintended consequences.
In case of cold
Decoction of St. John’s wort excellent immunity and eliminates catarrhal symptoms, so it is recommended to drink with colds. It is enough to take 100 ml three times a day to see an improvement.
To bring down a high fever, when preparing a St. John’s wort broth add a few raspberry leaves or 1. To prepare a St. John’s wort mixture, add a few raspberry leaves or 1 teaspoon of wild rose. It is better to drink this drink before going to bed, and then lie down under a blanket to sweat and eliminate toxins.
The decoction can be used as a gargle in case of sore throat, tracheitis and laryngitis. For results, gargle 5 to 10 times a day. A weak decoction is suitable for irrigation of the sinuses in case of thick discharge and prolonged rhinitis.
The effect of St. John’s wort on potency is ambiguous. When used for a short time, the decoction acts as an aphrodisiac, so it is recommended to drink 50 ml. 20 minutes before intercourse.
On the other hand, regular decoction intake causes hormonal alterations and a decrease in endogenous testosterone. This can cause both a decrease in libido and erectile dysfunction. Therefore, an endocrinologist should be consulted before taking San Juan grass to improve power.
Skin depigmentation should be treated with the combination of Hyperico. Three times a day, drink a glass of decoction half an hour after eating and applying twice a house prepared at home on the white areas of the skin.
How to prepare an ointment:
- Squeeze the juice from the plant until you get a glass.
- Pour the juice into an enameled saucepan and put it in the water bath to evaporate.
- Remove from the water bath when there are 50 ml of juice.
- Mix the juice extracted with 200 g. Quality butter.
Vitiligo treatment must continue for 8 weeks, then pause two weeks and repeat.
San Juan grass in gynecology
San Juan’s grass decoction has a positive effect on the female reproductive system. Its regular use can face inflammation, restore the mucous epithelium, relieve cramps during menstruation and reduce the severity of premenstrual syndrome.
In case of inflammation, gaps, adhesions and cervical erosion, it is recommended to drink a quarter of a glass of decoction before each daily meal. To achieve the best effect, it is recommended to combine the broth with local remedies.
For irrigation need to prepare a more steep decoction than for internal administration – in a glass of boiling water to infuse 2 tablespoons of grass with a handful. Cool to room temperature, strain and use for vaginal showers. The same decoction can be soaked in cotton gauze tampons and is inserted into the vagina for 3-4 hours.
When infertility need to prepare a large broth volume – 5 liters. boiling water to take a cup of herbs, keep over 3 minutes and infusion for an hour. The decoction should be used for night baths, the 1 4-day treatment course.
San Juan grass in menopause is used due to its tonic and antidepressant properties. His decoction helps to deal with changes in humor, suffocation, excessive sweating and other regional disorders.
It is enough to drink 1 tablespoon 5-6 times a day to normalize the sensation. But, with serious symptoms you can prepare a combined collection – mix San Juan, Melisa, White and Millenrama and prepare a tablespoon of the collection in a glass of boiling water per day. Drink 30 ml three times a day after meals.
San Juan’s grass as a sedative
Hypericin, present in San Juan’s grass, has sedative, anxiolytic and antidepressant effects. The classic hipper decoction must be taken in the morning and at night, 200 ml. Calming effect appears after 3-4 weeks, but for lasting treatment results you must continue for 3 months.
When a pronounced state of depression is more effective strong infusion. To prepare what you need to take 10 g. Dry and crushed plant and pour 250 ml. of boiling water. Insist for half an hour and strain. Drink 1 tablespoon 5-6 times a day.
San Juan grass helps deal with most gastrointestinal tract diseases. What amounts to drink decoction depends on the problem:
- Cholecystitis – 50 ml. three times a day. Due to a pronounced antispasmodic effect it is remarkable from the first reception.
- Sharp chronic gastritis – 15 ml. before every meal. During the prophylactic decoction remission you can drink 1-2 times a week at 50 ml.
- Erosions, gastrointestinal ulcers – decoction should be prepared at night in infusion. Drink 50 ml. twice daily.
- Diarrhea – In equal parts take grass of San Juan, mint, thyme, linden and skirmishes. A tablespoon of the collection take to boil in a glass of water, infuse, strain and drink in two drinks.
- Increased stomach acidity – 1 teaspoon of each of San Juan and chamomile infusion in 200 ml of boiling water, strain, divided into three doses.
In stomach diseases and intestines, San Juan’s grass can be used as a complementary treatment. It is best to alternate pharmacological therapy courses with broth intake.
For the liver and kidneys
San Juan’s grass is useful for urinary and biliary path diseases. Such pathologies require an increase in fluid intake, so you can drink herbal drink instead of the usual water. The recommended daily dose is 300-400 ml divided into 5 shots.
The decoction prepared from the San Juan grass has a positive effect on liver cells, stimulating its purification and relieving inflammation. But take the decoction in case of viral hepatitis with caution, since it reduces the effect of antiviral agents, slowing down recovery.
Treatment of cystitis
It is useful to drink San Juan grass decoction in chronic cystitis. The grass reduces pain, prevents the reproduction of pathogenic microflora, reduces inflammation and prevents the development of complications.
The classical decoction must be drink in 1/3 glass three times a day. For better results, you can prepare a spoonful of San Juan, Knotweed and chamomile in 500 ml of boiling water, leave it in infusion for half an hour and drink it in small portions throughout the day.
Special uses in cosmetology
San Juan’s grass is effective against most cosmetic problems. Help with skin spots, fungal lesions, dandruff and hair loss.
How to use a decoction:
- Of the dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, for hair growth – rinse 3-4 times a week after washing hair.
- Alopecia – Rub in the hair roots an hour before washing it.
- Acne, oily skin – in the morning and at night clean the washed with a cotton soaked in the decoction.
- Cracks on the feet, onicycosis in recovery phase – make feet baths for 15 minutes each night before bedtime.
- Skin peel – Dab affected areas decoction or grass ointment of San Juan.
- Wrinkles, skin discoloration – use decoction to dilute cosmetic clay to improve its action.
To improve the external effect of the decoction, you can drink 100-150 ml once a day. When dealing with cosmetic problems in the summer period, you have to be careful not to cause photosensitization.
Effectiveness of its use
The properties of the decoction of Hyperico, the benefits and contraindications are fully studied, so the efficacy of the plant is not subject to doubt. Dry dust and San Juan grass extract are used in traditional medicine to create drugs for internal reception and external media.
The efficacy and safety of San Juan’s grass has been demonstrated clinically. Tests were carried out to compare the side effects of taking plant decoction and antidepressants. The results are encouraging: San Juan’s grass is no less effective, but it is much less likely to cause adverse reactions.
When to collect and how to do it
San Juan’s grass is collected during the flowering period, from mi d-July to late August. The upper part of the plant is where the greatest nutrients are located, so you have to cut the flowers and 25 cm of the stem.
The grass retains its health benefits better if it dries in natural conditions: in fads or balconies and protected from direct sunlight. It is best to hang the bunches down or extend them in a thin layer on a newspaper, covered with a linen fabric or gauze. If dry in dryer, select a temperature of 40 ° C.
When it is completely dry, extend San Juan’s grass in paper or canvas bags and carefully carefully do not enter insects. Save the dry grass in a cool, dry and dark place for a maximum of 3 years.