A Spiced Apple Dutch Baby Pancake is a delicious and easy-to-make dish that combines the flavors of a traditional Dutch baby pancake with the warmth and spiciness of spiced apples. This dish is perfect for breakfast or brunch, and is sure to impress your family and friends. The pancake itself is light and fluffy, with a crispy edge, and is typically served with a dusting of powdered sugar and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.
To make a Spiced Apple Dutch Baby Pancake, you’ll need a few simple ingredients: all-purpose flour, milk, eggs, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, vanilla extract, butter, and of course, apples. The apples are peeled, cored, and thinly sliced, then tossed with sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt. They’re sautéed in butter until they’re soft and caramelized, and then the batter is poured over the top.
Once the batter is poured over the sautéed apples, the whole pan is transferred to a preheated oven and baked until the pancake is puffed and golden brown. The pancake will deflate slightly as it cools, but it will still be delicious. It’s best served warm, with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. The combination of the sweet, spiced apples and the light, airy pancake is simply irresistible.
What is a Dutch Baby Pancake?
One of the distinguishing features of a Dutch Baby Pancake is its unique shape. It is baked in a hot oven until it puffs up and forms a crisp and golden crust around the edges, while the center remains soft and tender. The pancake has a slightly eggy and custard-like texture, similar to a soufflé. It is often served with a dusting of powdered sugar, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, and a dollop of whipped cream or yogurt.
Here is a simple recipe for a Spiced Apple Dutch Baby Pancake:
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (218°C).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together 3/4 cup of all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg, and a pinch of salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together 3 large eggs and 3/4 cup of milk until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- In a 10-inch cast iron skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat.
- Add 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced, and cook until softened and slightly caramelized.
- Pour the batter over the apples and transfer the skillet to the preheated oven.
- Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, or until the pancake is puffed up and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and dust with powdered sugar. Serve immediately.
This Spiced Apple Dutch Baby Pancake is a delicious and impressive breakfast or brunch dish. The warm flavors of cinnamon and nutmeg complement the sweet and tart apples, creating a comforting and flavorful pancake that is perfect for chilly fall mornings.
Ingredients and Preparation
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional for garnish)
- Powdered sugar for dusting (optional for garnish)
Once you have gathered all of the necessary ingredients, you can begin preparing the Spiced Apple Dutch Baby Pancake. Here are the step-by-step instructions:
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, milk, eggs, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until fully combined.
- Heat a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat and melt the butter in the skillet.
- Add the apple slices to the skillet and sprinkle them with brown sugar. Cook the apples until they are tender and caramelized, about 5-7 minutes.
- Pour the batter over the cooked apples in the skillet and transfer the skillet to the preheated oven.
- Bake the pancake for about 15-18 minutes, or until it is puffed up and golden brown.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and sprinkle the pancake with vanilla extract.
- Garnish the pancake with chopped pecans and powdered sugar, if desired.
- Slice the pancake into wedges and serve immediately.
With these simple ingredients and easy-to-follow steps, you will be able to enjoy a warm and flavorful Spiced Apple Dutch Baby Pancake in no time. Perfect for breakfast or brunch, this pancake is sure to be a hit with your family and friends!