Chinese style steamed cod with bean paste is a popular dish in Chinese cuisine. It is a flavorful and healthy dish that showcases the delicate taste of the cod, balanced with the savory and umami flavors of the bean paste.
Steaming is a common cooking method in Chinese cuisine, as it preserves the natural flavors of the ingredients while maintaining their nutritional value. In this dish, the cod is steamed to perfection, resulting in a tender and moist texture.
To prepare this dish, a marinade is made with soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and bean paste. The cod fillets are then marinated in this mixture to infuse them with flavor. The marinated cod is placed on a plate and steamed for a few minutes until it is cooked through.
The combination of the bean paste and the cod creates a harmonious balance of flavors. The bean paste adds a rich and savory taste to the dish, enhancing the natural sweetness of the cod. This dish is often served with steamed rice or noodles to make it a complete meal.
Traditional Chinese Bean Paste Steamed Cod Recipe
To make this dish, you will need the following ingredients:
- 400g cod fillets
- 2 tablespoons fermented bean paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
Start by rinsing the cod fillets under cold water and patting them dry with a paper towel. Place the fillets on a heatproof dish and season them with salt. In a small bowl, mix together the fermented bean paste, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, ginger, and vegetable oil. Spoon this mixture evenly over the cod fillets.
Next, prepare a steamer by bringing water to a boil in a pot or wok. Once the water is boiling, place the dish with the cod fillets into the steamer and cover it. Steam the cod for about 10 minutes, or until it is cooked through and flaky.
|– 400g cod fillets||1. Rinse the cod fillets and pat them dry.
2. Season the fillets with salt.
|– 2 tablespoons fermented bean paste||1. In a small bowl, mix the fermented bean paste with soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, ginger, and vegetable oil.
2. Spoon the mixture over the cod fillets.
|– 1 tablespoon soy sauce|
|– 1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine|
|– 1 tablespoon ginger, minced|
|– 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped|
|– 1 tablespoon vegetable oil|
|– Salt to taste|
Once the cod is cooked, remove it from the steamer and garnish it with green onions. Serve the bean paste steamed cod with steamed rice or vegetables for a complete and satisfying meal.
This traditional Chinese bean paste steamed cod recipe is a wonderful way to experience the flavors of Chinese cuisine at home. The combination of the savory fermented bean paste with the delicate cod creates a dish that is both flavorful and healthy. Give it a try and enjoy the taste of authentic Chinese cooking!
The main ingredient of this dish is the cod fish, which is known for its mild and tender flesh. The fish is usually steamed whole or in large fillets to retain its natural flavor and texture. The addition of bean paste enhances the taste of the fish, giving it a savory and slightly tangy profile.
- The dish is typically served with steamed rice, which helps to balance the rich flavors of the fish and bean paste.
- Some variations of this dish may include additional ingredients such as ginger, garlic, and scallions to add more depth of flavor.
Steaming is the preferred cooking method for this dish as it allows the fish to cook gently and evenly, preserving its delicate texture. It also helps to retain the nutritional value of the fish, making it a healthy and wholesome meal option.
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Serves|
|15 minutes||15 minutes||4|
The delicious Chinese style Steamed Cod with Bean Paste requires the following ingredients:
- Cod fillets: You will need fresh, boneless cod fillets for this dish. The cod should be firm and have a mild flavor.
- Bean paste: The key ingredient in this recipe is the bean paste, which adds a rich and savory flavor to the dish. You can find bean paste at Asian grocery stores or online.
- Ginger: Fresh ginger adds a fragrant and slightly spicy taste to the steamed cod. Make sure to peel and finely chop the ginger before using it.
- Garlic: Garlic adds a pungent and aromatic flavor to the dish. You will need to mince the garlic cloves before using them in the recipe.
- Soy sauce: Soy sauce adds a salty and umami flavor to the dish. Use a good-quality soy sauce for the best results.
- Sesame oil: A small amount of sesame oil adds a nutty and aromatic flavor to the steamed cod. Make sure to use toasted sesame oil for a more intense flavor.
- Green onions: Finely chopped green onions are used as a garnish for the dish. They add a fresh and slightly onion-like taste to the steamed cod.
These are the main ingredients you’ll need to create a delicious Chinese style Steamed Cod with Bean Paste. Make sure to have all the ingredients ready before starting the cooking process.