Roasted beets and carrots with sage is a simple and flavorful dish that makes a delicious addition to any meal. The combination of earthy beets, sweet carrots, and aromatic sage creates a wonderful balance of flavors. This recipe is easy to prepare and requires just a few ingredients.
To make roasted beets and carrots with sage, start by peeling and cutting the beets and carrots into bite-sized pieces. Toss them with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread them out on a baking sheet and roast in the oven until they are tender and slightly caramelized.
While the vegetables are roasting, prepare the sage. Heat a small pan with olive oil and gently fry the sage leaves until they turn crispy. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Once the beets and carrots are done roasting, transfer them to a serving dish and sprinkle the crispy sage leaves on top. This dish pairs well with a variety of main courses and can be served warm or at room temperature. The combination of flavors and textures in this roasted beet and carrot recipe with sage is sure to impress your friends and family!
Ingredients for Roasted Beets and Carrots with Sage
- Beets: You will need fresh beets for this recipe. Beets add a sweet and earthy flavor to the dish and also provide a vibrant red color.
- Carrots: Carrots add sweetness and a delicate crunch to the dish. You can use regular orange carrots or mix it up with different colored heirloom carrots for added visual appeal.
- Sage: Fresh sage leaves bring an aromatic and savory note to the roasted vegetables. It pairs perfectly with the sweetness of the beets and carrots.
- Olive oil: Olive oil is used to coat the vegetables before roasting. It helps to enhance the flavors and adds a touch of richness.
- Balsamic vinegar: Balsamic vinegar adds a tangy and slightly sweet flavor to the dish. It is used to drizzle over the roasted vegetables before serving.
- Garlic: Garlic cloves add a subtle hint of flavor and aroma to the dish. They can be minced or thinly sliced.
- Salt and black pepper: These basic seasonings are used to enhance the flavors of the roasted beets and carrots.
These ingredients work together to create a delicious and visually appealing dish of roasted beets and carrots. The combination of sweet beets, crunchy carrots, aromatic sage, and tangy balsamic vinegar creates a well-balanced and flavorful dish that can be enjoyed as a side or a main course.
How to Make Roasted Beets and Carrots with Sage
To make this dish, start by preheating your oven to 400°F (200°C). While the oven is heating, peel and chop the beets and carrots into bite-sized pieces. You can use a knife or a vegetable peeler to remove the tough skin from the beets and carrots. Once they are peeled, cut them into evenly-sized chunks to ensure even cooking.
- Beets – 3 medium-sized
- Carrots – 3 medium-sized
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Fresh sage leaves – 7-8
- Salt – to taste
- Black pepper – to taste
Next, in a large bowl, toss the chopped beets and carrots with olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Make sure the vegetables are coated evenly with the oil and seasoning. Then, spread the vegetables out in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Peel and chop the beets and carrots into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, toss the vegetables with olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
- Spread the vegetables out in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and roast for about 25-30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and slightly caramelized.
- While the vegetables are roasting, chop the fresh sage leaves.
- When the vegetables are done, remove them from the oven and sprinkle the chopped sage leaves over the top.
- Toss the vegetables gently to distribute the sage evenly.
- Serve the roasted beets and carrots with sage as a side dish or as a topping for salads or grain bowls.
This roasted beets and carrots with sage recipe is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed as a side dish or as a main course. The combination of flavors and textures makes it a perfect addition to any meal. So, next time you’re looking for a healthy and delicious vegetable dish, give this recipe a try!
Serving and Storage Suggestions for Roasted Beets and Carrots with Sage
- Serving as a side dish: Roasted beets and carrots with sage can be served alongside roasted meats, such as chicken or beef, or as a side dish for vegetarian or vegan meals. The combination of earthy beets, sweet carrots, and fragrant sage adds depth of flavor to any meal.
- Garnishing with herbs: Before serving, you can garnish the roasted beets and carrots with fresh sage leaves or other herbs, such as parsley or thyme. This will not only enhance the presentation of the dish but also add a burst of freshness to the flavors.
- Pairing with other vegetables: If you want to add more variety to your meal, you can serve the roasted beets and carrots with other roasted or steamed vegetables, such as Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, or green beans.
When it comes to storing the leftovers of roasted beets and carrots with sage, here are some suggestions to maintain their taste and texture:
- Refrigerating: If you have any leftovers, allow the roasted beets and carrots to cool down completely, then transfer them to an airtight container and store them in the refrigerator. They can last for up to 3-4 days.
- Reheating: To reheat the leftovers, you can either warm them in the microwave for a few minutes or heat them in a pan on the stovetop. Add a splash of water or vegetable broth to prevent them from drying out.
- Using in other dishes: The leftovers can also be used in other dishes, such as salads, grain bowls, or vegetable wraps. You can chop them into smaller pieces and mix them with other ingredients to create flavorful and nutritious meals.
By following these serving and storage suggestions, you can enjoy the deliciousness of roasted beets and carrots with sage even beyond the initial meal.