Roasted tomato soup with lemon and thyme is a delightful and flavorful dish that brings together the rich and tangy flavors of roasted tomatoes, the freshness of lemon, and the earthy aroma of thyme. This comforting soup is perfect for cool autumn nights or any time you want a comforting bowl of goodness.
To make this delicious soup, start by roasting fresh tomatoes in the oven until they are soft and caramelized. The roasting process brings out the natural sweetness of the tomatoes and adds depth to the flavor of the soup. Once the tomatoes are roasted, they are then blended with vegetable broth, lemon juice, and a generous amount of fresh thyme. The result is a smooth and velvety soup with a subtle tang from the lemon and a hint of herbaceousness from the thyme.
This roasted tomato soup can be enjoyed on its own as a light meal or served as a starter before a main course. It pairs well with a crusty bread or a side salad. The soup can also be refrigerated and enjoyed as leftovers the next day, as the flavors meld together and become even more pronounced. So, if you’re looking for a comforting and flavorful soup to warm you up, give this roasted tomato soup with lemon and thyme a try!
- Tomatoes: You will need approximately 2 pounds of ripe tomatoes for this soup. Choose tomatoes that are firm and fragrant for the best taste.
- Olive oil: A small amount of olive oil is used to roast the tomatoes, giving them a rich and caramelized flavor.
- Garlic: To add a savory depth to the soup, 2 cloves of garlic are crushed and added during the roasting process.
- Onion: One medium-sized onion is sautéed with the roasted tomatoes to provide a sweet and aromatic base for the soup.
- Vegetable broth: The soup is thinned with vegetable broth, which adds additional flavor and depth to the dish.
- Lemon: The zest and juice of one lemon are added to the soup just before serving, giving it a bright and fresh flavor.
- Thyme: Fresh thyme leaves are sprinkled over the soup for a fragrant and earthy note.
- Salt and pepper: Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste, enhancing the flavors of the other ingredients.
By using these fresh and flavorful ingredients, you can create a roasted tomato soup with lemon and thyme that is both comforting and satisfying.
Follow these steps to make delicious Roasted Tomato Soup with Lemon and Thyme:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Cut the tomatoes in half and place them on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the tomatoes are soft and starting to brown.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and garlic and sauté until translucent and fragrant.
- Add the roasted tomatoes, vegetable broth, lemon juice, and thyme to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Using an immersion blender or a regular blender, puree the soup until smooth and creamy.
- Return the soup to the pot and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of fresh thyme leaves.
This Roasted Tomato Soup with Lemon and Thyme is a comforting and flavorful dish that can be enjoyed as a starter or a main course. The roasted tomatoes add a rich and smoky flavor, while the lemon and thyme bring brightness and freshness to the soup. It’s the perfect way to warm up on a chilly day or enjoy a light and healthy meal.
- Garnish with Fresh Herbs: Sprinkle some chopped fresh basil or parsley over the soup just before serving. This will not only add a pop of color but also enhance the flavors of the dish.
- Top with Croutons: Homemade or store-bought croutons can add a delightful crunch to the creamy soup. Scatter them on top or serve them on the side for a nice textural contrast.
- Pair with Grilled Cheese: A classic combination, serving the roasted tomato soup alongside a grilled cheese sandwich is a comforting and delicious choice. The gooey melted cheese and crispy bread complement the flavors of the soup perfectly.
- Serve with a Salad: For a light and refreshing meal, serve the soup with a simple tossed green salad dressed with a lemon vinaigrette. The acidity of the dressing will harmonize with the flavors in the soup.
If you want to make it a complete meal, consider adding some protein or grains:
|Protein Options||Grain Options|
These additions will make the soup more substantial and satisfying, turning it into a balanced and filling meal.