Mee Jawa is a popular Malaysian noodle dish that is known for its rich and flavorful sauce. It is a dish that combines both Chinese and Malay flavors, resulting in a unique and delicious meal. If you are a fan of noodles and spicy food, Mee Jawa is definitely a dish you should try!
To cook Mee Jawa, you will need several ingredients such as yellow noodles, bean sprouts, tofu, shrimp, and eggs. The dish is typically topped with fried shallots, green onions, and lime. The sauce is made from a combination of ingredients including tamarind paste, soy sauce, and chili paste. It is spicy, tangy, and full of flavor.
To prepare Mee Jawa, start by boiling the noodles and blanching the bean sprouts. In a separate pan, fry the tofu, shrimp, and eggs. Then, mix the tamarind paste, soy sauce, and chili paste to make the sauce. Finally, mix everything together and serve the Mee Jawa hot with a squeeze of lime on top. It is a dish that is perfect for a quick and satisfying meal!
How to Cook Mee Jawa
- 200g egg noodles
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 chicken thighs, sliced
- 200g shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chili paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the egg noodles according to package instructions and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and diced onion and sauté until fragrant.
- Add the sliced chicken thighs and shrimp to the pan and cook until they are cooked through.
- Next, add the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, soy sauce, and chili paste to the pan. Stir well to combine.
- Pour in the chicken broth and let the gravy simmer for about 10 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked egg noodles to the pan and toss them with the gravy until they are well-coated.
- Finally, add the bean sprouts to the pan and cook for another 2-3 minutes until they are slightly wilted.
- Remove from heat and serve the Mee Jawa hot, garnished with your choice of condiments such as fried shallots, chopped cilantro, and lime wedges.
With this easy recipe, you can enjoy the delicious flavors of Mee Jawa in the comfort of your own home. It’s a satisfying dish that is perfect for any occasion.
Ingredients for Mee Jawa
- Mee Jawa noodles: These are traditional yellow noodles that can be found in Asian grocery stores. They have a slightly chewy texture and are perfect for soaking up the flavorful sauce.
- Shrimp: Fresh shrimp adds a delicious seafood flavor to the dish. Make sure to clean and devein the shrimp before cooking.
- Bean Sprouts: Bean sprouts add crunch and freshness to Mee Jawa. They can be added to the dish raw or quickly blanched.
- Tofu: Firm tofu is a protein-packed addition to Mee Jawa. It can be fried or simply cubed and added to the dish.
- Eggs: Eggs are a versatile ingredient in Mee Jawa. They can be fried to add a crispy texture or mixed into the sauce for a creamy consistency.
- Asian spices: Spices like garlic, ginger, and chili can be used to add heat and flavor to the Mee Jawa sauce. You can adjust the spiciness according to your taste.
To enhance the flavor of Mee Jawa, you can also add other ingredients such as fish cake, green onions, fried shallots, and lime juice. These ingredients add depth and acidity to the dish, making it even more delicious. With these key ingredients, you will be able to create a tasty and authentic Mee Jawa at home.
Steps to Prepare Mee Jawa
To prepare Mee Jawa, you will need a few key ingredients such as noodles, vegetables, protein, and spices. Follow these simple steps to create this delicious Malaysian dish:
- Boil the noodles: Start by boiling the noodles in a pot of water until they are cooked al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water to prevent them from sticking together.
- Prepare the sauce: In a separate bowl, mix together tamarind paste, soy sauce, tomato ketchup, sugar, chili paste, and water. Adjust the quantities according to your taste preferences.
- Cook the protein and vegetables: Heat some oil in a wok or skillet and add your choice of protein, such as shrimp or chicken, along with chopped garlic and onions. Stir-fry until the protein is cooked through. Then, add sliced vegetables like carrots, cabbage, and bean sprouts. Cook until the vegetables are slightly tender.
- Combine everything: Add the boiled noodles to the wok or skillet and pour the sauce over them. Toss everything together until the noodles are well-coated with the sauce and all the ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Serve: Dish out the Mee Jawa into bowls or plates and garnish with fresh cilantro or chopped green onions. You can also squeeze some lime juice on top for an extra tangy flavor.
Mee Jawa is now ready to be enjoyed! This flavorful dish combines the rich flavors of the sauce with the texture of the noodles and the freshness of the vegetables. It is a popular street food in Malaysia and can be customized with different proteins and vegetables to suit your taste. Try making Mee Jawa at home and impress your friends and family with this delicious Malaysian delight!
Serving Mee Jawa:
To serve Mee Jawa, start by cooking the noodles according to the package instructions. Once the noodles are cooked, drain them and set them aside. In a separate pan, heat some oil and sauté garlic and shallots until fragrant. Then, add the cooked noodles to the pan and stir-fry them for a few minutes.
Next, add the Mee Jawa sauce to the pan and mix it well with the noodles. The sauce is usually made from a combination of tomato sauce, soy sauce, tamarind paste, and various spices. Allow the noodles to simmer in the sauce for a few more minutes until they are well-coated.
Enjoying Mee Jawa:
Once the Mee Jawa is ready, it can be enjoyed hot and fresh. To enhance the flavor, serve the noodles with a variety of toppings and condiments. Some popular toppings include fried tofu, boiled eggs, sliced cucumbers, and chopped scallions. You can also add a squeeze of fresh lime juice and sprinkle some fried shallots on top for added crunch.
To enjoy Mee Jawa, mix all the toppings and condiments with the noodles, ensuring that the flavors are well-balanced. The combination of savory, sweet, and tangy flavors in the Mee Jawa sauce, along with the crunchy texture of the toppings, creates a delicious and satisfying dish.