Nasi Goreng Pattaya is a popular Malaysian dish that is loved by locals and tourists alike. It is a delicious fried rice dish wrapped in a thin omelette, which gives it a unique and satisfying taste. If you’re looking to recreate this flavorful dish at home, here’s a step-by-step guide to help you.
- Cooked rice
- Chicken or shrimp
- Vegetables (such as onions, carrots, and peas)
- Soy sauce
- Spices (such as garlic, ginger, and chili)
- Oil for frying
- First, prepare the filling for your Nasi Goreng Pattaya. Fry the chicken or shrimp in a pan with some oil until cooked through. Add in the chopped vegetables and spices, and stir-fry until they are cooked and fragrant.
- Next, add the cooked rice to the pan and mix well. You can season it with soy sauce and any additional spices to taste. Make sure the rice is evenly coated with the flavorful mixture.
- Once your filling is ready, it’s time to prepare the omelette. Beat the eggs in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Heat some oil in a separate pan and pour in the beaten eggs. Cook until the omelette is set.
- Place a portion of the fried rice filling onto one side of the omelette. Carefully fold the other side of the omelette over the filling to form a neat and tight parcel.
- Transfer the Nasi Goreng Pattaya parcel onto a serving plate and garnish with some sliced cucumbers and tomato ketchup. Serve hot and enjoy!
With these simple steps, you can easily whip up a delicious Nasi Goreng Pattaya in the comfort of your own kitchen. Whether you’re a fan of Malaysian cuisine or simply looking to try something new, this dish is definitely worth a try.
Ingredients for Nasi Goreng Pattaya
- 2 cups of cooked white rice
- 1/2 cup of diced chicken or shrimp
- 1/4 cup of diced onion
- 1/4 cup of diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup of diced green bell pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of ketchup
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 4 eggs
- Sliced cucumber and tomato, for garnish
These ingredients can be easily found in most grocery stores or Asian markets. Make sure to have them ready before you start cooking Nasi Goreng Pattaya.
Step-by-step instructions to cook Nasi Goreng Pattaya
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 4 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium heat. Add the diced onions and garlic, and cook until they become fragrant.
- Add the diced carrots and frozen peas, and cook for another 2-3 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Push the cooked vegetables to one side of the pan and add the cooked rice to the other side. Break up any clumps of rice with a spatula and stir-fry for a few minutes until the rice is heated through.
- Add the soy sauce and tomato ketchup to the rice and mix well to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate pan, make an omelette with two eggs. Set aside.
- Divide the fried rice into two portions and place each portion onto the center of the omelette.
- Wrap the omelette around the fried rice, folding the sides over and rolling it into a neat parcel.
- Repeat the process with the remaining rice and eggs.
- Place the Nasi Goreng Pattaya parcels back into the pan and cook for another 1-2 minutes on each side until the omelette is golden brown.
- Remove from the pan, slice each parcel in half, and serve hot. Enjoy your homemade Nasi Goreng Pattaya!
Tips for serving Nasi Goreng Pattaya
- Plating: When serving Nasi Goreng Pattaya, it is important to plate it attractively. One popular way to serve this dish is by using a halved pineapple or bell pepper shell as a container for the rice. This adds an appealing visual element to the dish.
- Garnish: To enhance the flavors and presentation of Nasi Goreng Pattaya, consider adding some garnishes. A common garnish for this dish is a fried egg on top. You can also sprinkle some chopped spring onions and coriander leaves for added freshness and color.
- Sauces: Nasi Goreng Pattaya is often served with accompanying sauces. The most common sauce is chili sauce or ketchup. This adds a tangy and spicy element to the dish. You can also serve it with a side of cucumber and tomato salad.
By paying attention to plating, garnish, and sauce, you can elevate the presentation and taste of Nasi Goreng Pattaya. These tips will make your dish not only visually appealing but also memorable and enjoyable for anyone who tries it.
Variations of Nasi Goreng Pattaya
1. Seafood Nasi Goreng Pattaya
If you’re a seafood lover, you can easily add some seafood to your Nasi Goreng Pattaya. You can use a combination of shrimp, squid, and fish to give your dish a rich and flavorful taste. To make the seafood version, simply sauté the seafood with some garlic and onions before adding the cooked rice. Once the rice is mixed well with the seafood, you can then proceed to wrap it in the omelette.
2. Vegetarian Nasi Goreng Pattaya
If you prefer a meat-free option, you can make a vegetarian version of Nasi Goreng Pattaya. Instead of using meat or seafood, you can use a variety of vegetables such as carrots, peas, corn, and mushrooms. Sauté the vegetables with some soy sauce and other seasonings before adding the cooked rice. Once the rice and vegetables are well mixed, wrap it in the omelette for a tasty vegetarian option.
3. Spicy Nasi Goreng Pattaya
If you like your food with a kick of spice, you can make a spicy version of Nasi Goreng Pattaya. Add some chopped chili peppers or chili paste to the dish to give it a spicy flavor. You can also add some chili sauce or sambal on the side for an extra spicy kick. Just be mindful of the level of spiciness you can handle, and adjust the amount of chili accordingly.
These are just a few variations of Nasi Goreng Pattaya that you can experiment with. Feel free to get creative and customize the dish according to your taste preferences. Whether you prefer seafood, vegetarian, or spicy flavors, Nasi Goreng Pattaya can be easily adapted to suit your culinary desires.