If you’re looking for a flavorful and easy appetizer to serve at your next gathering, marinated olives with lemon confit are a perfect choice. This dish combines the salty and tangy flavors of olives with the bright and citrusy taste of lemon confit, creating a harmonious blend of flavors that will tantalize your taste buds.
- 2 cups of mixed olives (such as Kalamata, green, and black olives)
- 1 lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh herbs (such as rosemary, thyme, or oregano)
- 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Prepare the Lemon Confit:
- Wash the lemon, then cut it into thin slices.
- Place the lemon slices in a small saucepan and cover them with cold water.
- Bring the water to a boil and let the lemon slices simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Drain the water and repeat the boiling process two more times. This will help remove any bitterness from the lemon.
- After the final boiling, drain the water and set the lemon slices aside.
Tip: Lemon confit can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
2. Marinate the Olives:
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the olives, minced garlic, chopped herbs, and lemon slices.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper to the bowl.
- Gently toss the ingredients together until well combined.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld together.
Tip: The longer the olives marinate, the more flavorful they will become. You can even marinate them overnight for a more intense flavor.
3. Serve and Enjoy:
Once the olives have marinated to your liking, transfer them to a serving dish and garnish with extra chopped herbs, if desired. Serve the marinated olives with lemon confit as an appetizer alongside crusty bread or crackers. The combination of the briny olives and tangy lemon confit is sure to impress your guests.
Marinated olives with lemon confit are a simple yet elegant appetizer that is packed with flavor. The salty olives paired with the citrusy lemon confit create a delicious and vibrant taste experience. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or simply looking for a tasty snack, this recipe is a must-try. So gather your ingredients, follow the instructions, and enjoy these marinated olives with lemon confit at your next gathering.
Why Use Lemon Confit in Marinated Olives
When added to marinated olives, lemon confit brings a unique and zesty element that complements the richness of the olives. The saltiness of the cured lemon balances out the brininess of the olives, creating a well-rounded flavor profile. Additionally, the soft texture of lemon confit adds a subtle contrast to the firmness of the olives, making each bite more interesting.
Here is an example table of how marinated olives with lemon confit can be prepared:
|– Olives (mixed variety)||– Drain the olives from their brine|
|– Lemon confit||– Slice the lemon confit into small pieces|
|– Olive oil||– In a bowl, mix the olives, lemon confit, and olive oil|
|– Herbs and spices (optional)||– Add herbs and spices of your choice for extra flavor|
|– Garlic cloves (optional)||– Add crushed garlic cloves for additional aroma|
|– Let marinate for at least 1 hour||– Allow the olives to marinate in the mixture for at least 1 hour to enhance the flavors|
Overall, lemon confit adds a vibrant and citrusy twist to marinated olives, elevating their taste and making them a standout appetizer or snack option.