If you’re looking for a refreshing and healthy summer salad, this Mediterranean Zucchini Noodles Salad recipe is perfect for you. Made with fresh zucchini noodles, colorful vegetables, and a tangy dressing, this salad is not only delicious but also packed with nutrients.
To make this salad, start by spiralizing the zucchini into noodle-like strands. You can use a spiralizer or a mandolin slicer for this step. Then, prepare a dressing using olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and a blend of Mediterranean herbs like oregano and basil. Toss the zucchini noodles with the dressing to coat them evenly.
In addition to zucchini noodles, this salad also contains cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, olives, and feta cheese. These ingredients add vibrant colors, fresh flavors, and a nice contrast of textures. Arrange them on top of the zucchini noodles and garnish with fresh herbs like parsley and mint.
This Mediterranean Zucchini Noodles Salad is not only a great side dish but also a light and nutritious meal on its own. It’s perfect for hot summer days when you crave something refreshing and nourishing. So why not give this recipe a try and enjoy a taste of the Mediterranean right in your own kitchen?
Ingredients for Mediterranean Zucchini Noodles Salad
Here are some of the key ingredients you’ll need to make a delicious Mediterranean zucchini noodles salad:
- Zucchini: The star ingredient of the salad, zucchini is spiralized into noodles to form the base. It is a low-calorie vegetable that adds crunch and freshness to the dish.
- Tomatoes: Fresh tomatoes, whether cherry or vine-ripened, add a burst of juiciness and sweetness to the salad.
- Cucumbers: Crisp and hydrating cucumbers bring a refreshing element to the salad.
- Olives: Mediterranean olives, such as Kalamata or green olives, add a salty and briney flavor to the salad.
- Feta cheese: Creamy and tangy feta cheese crumbles provide a savory element to the salad.
- Red onion: Sliced or diced red onion adds a kick of sharpness to balance the flavors.
- Herbs: Fresh herbs like basil, parsley, or mint add brightness and depth of flavor to the salad.
- Garlic: Minced garlic cloves infuse the salad with a fragrant and savory taste.
- Dressing: A simple dressing made with olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper complements the ingredients and ties the flavors together.
These ingredients come together to create a Mediterranean zucchini noodles salad that is refreshing, satisfying, and packed with nutrients. Whether enjoyed as a main course or as a side dish, this salad is a delicious way to incorporate more vegetables into your diet.
Method of Preparation
To start, gather all the necessary ingredients: zucchini, cherry tomatoes, Kalamata olives, feta cheese, red onion, fresh parsley, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and black pepper.
1. Prepare the zucchini noodles
Using a spiralizer or a vegetable peeler, make zucchini noodles by cutting the zucchini into thin, noodle-like strips. You can also use pre-packaged zucchini noodles if available.
2. Sauté the zucchini noodles
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the zucchini noodles and sauté them for 2-3 minutes, until they are slightly softened.
3. Prepare the dressing
In a small bowl, combine olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic, salt, and black pepper. Whisk the ingredients together to create the dressing.
4. Assemble the salad
In a large mixing bowl, combine the sautéed zucchini noodles, halved cherry tomatoes, sliced Kalamata olives, crumbled feta cheese, finely chopped red onion, and fresh parsley. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss everything together until well coated.
5. Serve and enjoy
Transfer the Mediterranean Zucchini Noodles Salad to a serving dish or individual plates. You can garnish it with additional parsley or feta cheese if desired. Serve it as a side dish or a light main course. Enjoy the fresh flavors of this healthy salad!
Tips for Serving and Variations
- For a heartier meal, serve the zucchini noodles salad with grilled chicken or shrimp on top.
- Pair it with some crusty bread or pita chips for added crunch.
- For a vegetarian option, you can add some crumbled feta cheese or sliced avocado to the salad.
- Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice over the salad right before serving for an extra burst of freshness.
You can easily customize this zucchini noodles salad recipe with the following variations:
- Add some roasted red peppers or sun-dried tomatoes to the salad for an additional pop of flavor.
- Swap the cherry tomatoes for diced fresh tomatoes or halved grape tomatoes.
- If you’re a fan of olives, toss in some Kalamata olives for a briny touch.
- Feel free to add in some canned chickpeas or grilled eggplant for added protein and texture.
With these serving suggestions and variations, you can easily adapt this Mediterranean zucchini noodles salad to suit your preferences and create a refreshing and wholesome meal.
Health Benefits and Nutritional Value
Zucchini noodles, also known as zoodles, are a popular alternative to traditional pasta and offer a range of health benefits. They are low in carbohydrates and contain no gluten, making them suitable for those following a low-carb or gluten-free diet. Zoodles are also packed with antioxidants, such as vitamin C and beta-carotene, which can help reduce inflammation and protect against chronic diseases.
The Mediterranean Zucchini Noodles Salad is a nutritious and delicious dish that incorporates zoodles and other wholesome ingredients. This salad includes cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, and feta cheese, all of which add their own nutritional benefits. Cherry tomatoes are high in vitamins A and C, as well as lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that may help reduce the risk of certain cancers. Cucumbers are hydrating and provide a good source of vitamins K and C. Olives offer heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and are a good source of vitamin E. Feta cheese adds a creamy texture and is a great source of protein and calcium.
|Nutrient||Zucchini (per 100g)||Cherry Tomatoes (per 100g)||Cucumbers (per 100g)||Olives (per 100g)||Feta Cheese (per 100g)|
|Vitamin C (mg)||17||13||2.8||0||0|
|Vitamin A (IU)||384||833||105||21||280|
Overall, the Mediterranean Zucchini Noodles Salad is a nutritious dish that provides a range of health benefits. It is packed with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, and is low in calories and carbohydrates. Whether you’re looking to manage your weight, boost your immune system, or simply enjoy a flavorful and refreshing meal, this salad is a great choice.