If you’re a fan of Mexican cuisine and looking for a delicious and easy-to-make dish, look no further than Easy Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas. These enchiladas are bursting with flavors, combining tender chicken, tangy salsa verde, and gooey cheese.
Creating these enchiladas is a breeze, making them perfect for busy weeknight dinners or lazy weekend meals. To start, simply cook shredded chicken in a skillet with your favorite seasonings. Then, mix the cooked chicken with salsa verde and wrap the mixture in corn tortillas. Place the rolled enchiladas in a baking dish, top with more salsa verde and cheese, and bake until golden and bubbly.
The combination of tender chicken, tangy salsa verde, and melted cheese creates a heavenly flavor profile that will satisfy your taste buds. You can customize these enchiladas by adding toppings like sour cream, chopped cilantro, or diced onions for an extra burst of freshness. Serve them with a side of Mexican rice and beans for a complete and satisfying meal.
- Chicken: Boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs are typically used in this recipe. They are cooked and shredded before being mixed with the salsa verde.
- Salsa Verde: This green salsa is the star of the dish. It is made from tomatillos, onions, garlic, and green chilies. You can use store-bought salsa verde or make your own at home.
- Tortillas: Corn tortillas or flour tortillas can be used for the enchiladas. Corn tortillas offer a more traditional flavor, while flour tortillas tend to be softer and easier to work with.
- Cheese: Cheese is an important ingredient for adding flavor and creaminess to the enchiladas. Monterey Jack or Mexican blend cheese are commonly used.
- Sour Cream: Sour cream is often added to the filling or used as a topping for the enchiladas. It adds a tangy flavor and helps balance the spiciness of the salsa verde.
- Additional Toppings: Optional toppings for the enchiladas include chopped cilantro, diced tomatoes, sliced jalapenos, and avocado.
With these ingredients, you can easily make delicious Easy Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas in no time. The combination of tender chicken, tangy salsa verde, and creamy cheese creates a flavorful and satisfying dish.
Follow these simple steps to make delicious Easy Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas:
1. Prepare the chicken:
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken breasts in a baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and let it cool. Once cooled, shred the chicken using two forks.
2. Make the salsa verde:
- In a blender or food processor, combine the tomatillos, jalapeño, garlic, onion, cilantro, lime juice, and salt.
- Puree the ingredients until smooth.
- Transfer the salsa verde to a saucepan and heat over medium heat until warmed through.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
3. Assemble the enchiladas:
- Spread a thin layer of salsa verde on the bottom of a baking dish.
- Take a tortilla and place a small amount of shredded chicken in the center.
- Roll the tortilla tightly and place it seam-side down in the baking dish.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas and chicken, arranging them in a single layer in the dish.
- Pour the remaining salsa verde over the enchiladas, making sure they are fully covered.
4. Bake and serve:
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and let the enchiladas cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, sliced avocado, and sour cream, if desired.
Now you can enjoy your homemade Easy Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas! Serve them hot and savor the delicious flavors.
Serving and Storage
If you’re serving the enchiladas immediately, you can plate them individually or family-style. Consider garnishing each enchilada with a sprinkle of fresh cilantro or a dollop of sour cream for added flavor and presentation. A side of Mexican rice or a simple green salad can complement the dish nicely.
If you have leftovers, it’s important to store them properly to ensure their freshness and safety. Remove any remaining enchiladas from the baking dish and transfer them to an airtight container. Leftover salsa verde can be stored separately in a jar or airtight container as well. Remember to label the containers with the date to keep track of their freshness. These leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 3-4 days.
When you’re ready to enjoy the leftover enchiladas, you can either reheat them in the microwave or in the oven. Tear off a piece of aluminum foil, place the enchiladas on top, and wrap them up like a little packet. Bake them in the oven at 350°F for about 10-15 minutes or until heated through. If using the microwave, cover the enchiladas with a microwave-safe lid or plastic wrap, and heat them in 30-second intervals until warm.
By properly serving and storing your Easy Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas, you can savor the flavors for days to come.