If you’re looking for a delicious and healthy side dish, seriously good broccoli slaw is the perfect choice. Packed with nutrient-rich vegetables, this slaw is not only tasty but also incredibly good for you.
This slaw is made with fresh broccoli, carrots, red onions, and other crunchy vegetables. It’s a great way to add more greens to your diet and get all the benefits of broccoli, which is known for its high levels of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
What sets this slaw apart from others is the seriously good dressing. Made with a combination of creamy mayo, tangy apple cider vinegar, and a touch of sweetness from honey, it adds the perfect balance of flavor to the vegetables. The dressing also helps to soften the texture of the broccoli, making it easier to eat and enjoy.
Whether you’re serving it as a side dish at a barbecue or enjoying it as a light lunch, seriously good broccoli slaw is a crowd-pleaser. It’s quick and easy to make, and the leftovers can be stored in the fridge for a few days, making it a convenient option for meal prep. So, why not give this seriously good broccoli slaw a try and introduce a tasty and healthy dish to your menu!
- Broccoli: Start with fresh broccoli florets, which will provide a crunchy texture to the slaw.
- Red cabbage: Add vibrant color and a slightly sweet taste by including thinly sliced red cabbage.
- Carrots: Grate some fresh carrots to add a natural sweetness and extra crunch to the slaw.
- Green onions: Finely chop green onions to add a mild onion flavor and a pop of green color.
- Cranberries: Dried cranberries add a sweet and tangy flavor to balance out the other ingredients.
- Almonds: Toasted slivered almonds provide a nutty crunch and add extra protein to the slaw.
Additionally, make sure you have the following ingredients for the slaw dressing:
- Mayonnaise: Creamy mayonnaise serves as the base for the dressing and adds richness to the slaw.
- Greek yogurt: Greek yogurt adds tanginess and creaminess to the dressing while reducing the calorie content.
- Lemon juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice adds brightness and a subtle citrus flavor to the dressing.
- Honey: A small amount of honey adds a touch of sweetness to balance out the tanginess.
- Salt and pepper: Season the dressing with salt and pepper to enhance the overall flavor.
With these fresh and flavorful ingredients, you can easily create a Seriously Good Broccoli Slaw that is both delicious and nutritious.
To make the Seriously Good Broccoli Slaw, follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Begin by washing and drying the broccoli. Cut off the florets from the stalk and discard any tough parts of the stalk. Chop the florets into small, bite-sized pieces.
Step 2: In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped broccoli florets with shredded carrots, sliced almonds, and dried cranberries. Toss the ingredients together to evenly distribute them.
Step 3: In a separate smaller bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, honey, mustard, salt, and pepper. This will be the dressing for the slaw.
Step 4: Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture and toss until everything is well coated. Make sure all the ingredients are evenly distributed throughout the slaw.
Step 5: Cover the bowl and refrigerate the slaw for at least one hour to allow the flavors to meld and the broccoli to soften slightly. This slaw can also be made a day in advance and stored in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
If desired, you can add extra ingredients to customize your broccoli slaw. Some popular options include:
- Chopped red onions for a bit of bite.
- Sunflower seeds for added crunch.
- Crumbled bacon for a salty contrast.
This Seriously Good Broccoli Slaw is a versatile side dish that complements a variety of meals. It can be served as a refreshing salad alongside grilled meats or as a crunchy topping for sandwiches and tacos. It also makes a great addition to potlucks and picnics.
|Preparation time:||15 minutes|
|Chilling time:||1 hour|
Rich Source of Nutrients
1. Vitamins: Broccoli slaw is a rich source of vitamins C, K, and A. Vitamin C is well-known for its immune-boosting properties and its ability to fight off free radicals in the body. Vitamin K is essential for blood clotting and bone health, while vitamin A promotes good vision and healthy skin.
2. Minerals: Broccoli slaw is also a great source of minerals such as potassium, calcium, and iron. Potassium is vital for maintaining healthy blood pressure and electrolyte balance, while calcium is crucial for strong bones and teeth. Iron is necessary for the production of hemoglobin, which carries oxygen throughout the body.
3. Antioxidants: Broccoli slaw contains powerful antioxidants like sulforaphane and indole-3-carbinol. These compounds help neutralize harmful free radicals and reduce the risk of chronic diseases, such as heart disease and certain types of cancer.
In addition to these essential nutrients, broccoli slaw is also low in calories and high in fiber, making it a great option for weight management and digestion. Whether enjoyed as a side dish, added to salads, or used as a filling in sandwiches, broccoli slaw is a delicious and nutritious addition to any meal.